*eye twitches*

Mirlyn

rebmeM
Nixy said:
ummmm...what do you mean by "automatic acceptance"?

Well, I guess I should speak for here anyway. In Kansas, if you graduate from a Kansas accreditied High School (basically any public school), you are waived of any kind of entrance exam to a Kansas public college. The only thing you have to do is officially apply to a public school and you're in (automatically). I *think* its that way across the nation, but I could be wrong.

Basically, graduate from a state-funded school and you are virutally guaranteed to any public college in that same state.

greenfreak

There are schools around here that have really loose requirements for acceptance and thus are labeled "13th grade" and stuff like that but I don't think there's any school you're guaranteed to get into. As far as I know when I graduated high school, we all had to qualify and take exams to get into the various colleges we went to.

Mirlyn

rebmeM
greenfreak said:
There are schools around here that have really loose requirements for acceptance and thus are labeled "13th grade" and stuff like that but I don't think there's any school you're guaranteed to get into. As far as I know when I graduated high school, we all had to qualify and take exams to get into the various colleges we went to.
There are entrance exams for private and specialty schools, but not for most public institutions. I suppose guarantee is a harsh word, more like...first consideration. I don't think they guarantee anything, but its considered so.

If you go out of state, you aren't given the same treatment. I don't know the real reason behind it, but I'd imagine it'd have something to do with equal opportunity or something related.

Then again, you can buy a degree too at private schools. My friend just graduated from a private school by taking one year at a community college and transferring everything to the institution and after another year and a half, he graduated with a double major. He's in the masters's program now too...two nights a week for two years.

Mirlyn

rebmeM
Nixy said:
*shakes head*

I have to pay big bucks and work my ass off :(

Just because you automatically get accepted doesn't mean you don't get to foot the bill. ;) You still have to take the ACT if you want to get into certain programs or apply for scholarships. It doesn't make college any easier; we too work our asses off. It just makes it easier to take the next step instead of just stopping at HS.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
ic

well, I got one of my three tests back that I have written so far...67%...meh...will get another back this afternoon...

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
oh...and the paying big bucks and working my ass off was in response to the comment someone made about being able to buy your grades ina provate school...I pay big bucks but can't buy my grades with it...that is all...