Airport security

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
We will now be seeing airport marshalls, and much more security... Well to all the complainers that thought it was crazy to have to be at the airport 2 hours early get ready.
Here in indiana i have heard that only people with boarding passes will get past security, you can only park so close to the building,cannot ever leave your luggage.
If this is what it takes then so be it. I'd rather have to go thru this than the consequences.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Airport security for employees is virtually non-existant. That needs to change drastically. It is a possible major achilles heel.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I must wholeheartedly disagree NEO. This country was founded, and still remains a Democratic Republic with a certain amount of "God given and unalienable rights". Among those rights is to travel freely. Every time a terrorist, or even a good old fashioned American criminal does something awful, we loose a minute, yet distinguishable amount of those freedoms. Over a period of 225 years those original freedoms have withered. We are a different society than in 1776, without doubt. Some things cannot stay the same. But basic neccesities like the freedom to travel, unhindered by governments interference MUST NOT be one of those that we give up. If we give a little here & a little there-at some point there is nothing left to give. Once that happens, the evil that lurks in the back alleys of our society wins. I think the current freedoms that have been given up, in the name of "safety" has hampered our way of life. !0 years ago, there was no such thing as a DUI/DWI checkpoint. Well, said the people, it's for safety. so lets give up that little bit of freedom-well, now they do random seat belt checks!!! The disgraces that we go through now to enter a public air carrier is sufficient-ever wonder how many vibrators the security personell see a day? Is it any of O'Hare security's business what medicinaL pills you pop every day. They know because your wifes bag must be "thoroughly inspected". I could go on-suffice it to say, I'm willing to lay my life on the line so that every American & foreign traveler, in the United States of America can experience a little less interference by a demanding so-to-be tyranical government.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Here in Toronto the airport staff was searched going into work. Even their cars were looked through, over and under.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Originally posted by Fuser Man
Here in Toronto the airport staff was searched going into work. Even their cars were looked through, over and under.
YEAH...NOW

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Gonz they are not taking away our freedom to travel, just making it safer for us. Think about it you think they still would have gotten on the plane if all this were already implimented? Probably not.
Either way Look at what things we have already given up. compared to this, its something I'm will to give. Saftey to travel where ever i please.

Gonzo

Staff member
Originally posted by Neo
Gonz they are not taking away our freedom to travel, just making it safer for us. Think about it you think they still would have gotten on the plane if all this were already implimented? Probably not.
Either way Look at what things we have already given up. compared to this, its something I'm will to give. Saftey to travel where ever i please.

There's that keyword "safety". :scared: How about, we all carry sidearms :eek2: & shoot the bad guy :smash: s-that seems safe to me. :D

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Well it seems safe to me too. but then i go to jail for carrying a concealed weapon, so the alternative is a skymarshal.

Gonzo

Staff member
Amendment II of the United States of America Bill of Rights
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

unclehobart

this is my special title
Flying is not a right. Its a priveledge. No one is saying that you can't travel. One method is theoreticaly being tightend up. All forms of travel are governed by one form of regulation or another. Strip searches, drug dogs, metal detectors... so be it. Departure taxes and other little snippets feathered into the prices of tickets and feuls are what piss me off. That is where the silent demons of government intrusion lie.

Gonzo

Staff member
Originally posted by unclehobart
Flying is not a right. Its a priveledge. No one is saying that you can't travel. One method is theoreticaly being tightend up. All forms of travel are governed by one form of regulation or another. Strip searches, drug dogs, metal detectors... so be it. Departure taxes and other little snippets feathered into the prices of tickets and feuls are what piss me off. That is where the silent demons of government intrusion lie.

SEE-more rights we've given up in the name of "safety". Since you don't need to be licensed to travel, if it's affordable, it's a right. And ALL methods of travel have been tightened. Ever try to ride a horse across the country?

S

s4

I don't think arming the passengers is so bad. The first thing they ought to do is train the crew on how to use weapons and make sure the pilot is armed. They should also lock the front of the plane so noone can get in during the flight.

They should also not negotiate with hijackers. They should tell them to sit down in their seats and shut up or be prepared for one hell of a ride.

No more mr nice guy. Terrorists should not be given lawyers or trials. We also should quit letting them take control of these situations. Tell them to do what they are going to do or shut the f*ck up and sit down. It's better than letting them have control. Don't take them anywhere.

unclehobart

this is my special title
A little snippet of article 1 section 8 of the Constitution: The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

A little bit from article 1 section 9:
The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.

Bill of Rights Ammendment 14 section 1: No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. nothing about travel here that I can see

I have just read the entire Constitution and the Bill of Rights and saw nowhere about any so-called 'right to travel'. It is a matter of simple commercial regulation that the feds has a full and clear jurisdiction over. They can shut it all down if they feel like it.

Gonzo

Staff member
Originally posted by unclehobart
Bill of Rights Ammendment 14 section 1: No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. nothing about travel here that I can see
Right there-you quoted from the Constitution

unclehobart

this is my special title
Life is life, Liberty speaks of incarceration by the hands of the government without due process, Property is property. There isn't a damn thing about wandering to and fro as a right. Thats a simple matter of legislation that can be changed in a heartbeat if the feds or states deem it necessary for the protection of the common good.

Gonzo

Staff member
oh, and the Preamble too:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Gonzo

Staff member
Liberty-from Merriam-Websters Dictionary:

Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French liberté, from Latin libertat-, libertas, from liber free -- more at LIBERAL
Date: 14th century
1 : the quality or state of being free: a : the power to do as one pleases b : freedom from physical restraint c : freedom from arbitrary or despotic control d : the positive enjoyment of various social, political, or economic rights and privileges e : the power of choice
2 a : a right or immunity enjoyed by prescription or by grant : PRIVILEGE b : permission especially to go freely within specified limits

unclehobart

this is my special title
That has been argued before and tossed out. Since the very government that passes such restrictions come from the populace as a matter of free elections, the very nature of the laws they pass in our name have no bearing on general freedoms. The restrictions are, in a sense, self imposed and desired. The laws are not considered tyrannical because we thrust them upon ourselves. If we don't like the laws we need to elect those who will remove them... its as simple as that.

Gonzo

Staff member
FINALLY-we agree on fact & facet. The problem has become, as stated in my first posts, we have given up rights in name of "safety" & that is allowing the bad guys to win. etc, etc, etc.

That is why I never vote for an incumbent, even when I agree with his/her stance-it should not be a career.

Gonzo

Staff member
This is the ultimate end to "safety"-it is not worth it

A National Guardsman sits atop his patrol vehicle near the World Trade Center complex. The National Guard is helping city police maintain security following Tuesday's chaos.
(AFP)

Attachments

• armed guard.jpg
    armed guard.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 56