Trouble shooting

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Q. I can't patch Tribes 2, I keep getting the error: "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."

A. Uninstall Tribes 2. Delete the Tribes 2 directory. Reinstall Tribes 2. Use the first aid utility to make sure files copied properly. Update using the autoupdater. If you're still receiving this error, try patching manually by downloading the patches from the Recommended Downloads page. If you still receive this error, scan your system for viruses. If you have a VIA chipset and the virus scan comes up clean, make sure you have the latest VIA 4-in-1 Drivers. The problem can also be attributed to incorrect CD-ROM Drive configuration. Right click on "My Computer" click "Properties" then go to Device Manager. Find your CD-ROM and try enabling or disabling DMA. If all else fails go here.

Q. I've tried everything, but the First Aid Utility keeps telling me some files have failed the check.

A. Check to see which files have failed. Then, right click on the CD-ROM drive that Tribes 2 is in and click Explore. Manually drag and drop each file that has failed. After you copy the file manually, make sure you go to its properties and uncheck Read-Only. Run the First Aid Utility each time to see if it copied properly. If you're still having problems, try installing the game on a friend's computer. If he/she has the same problem, then your CD may be defective and you will need to contact Sierra to get it replaced. Go here for Sierra's contact information.

Q. I just upgraded or installed Windows XP and when I try to play Tribes 2 I get an Unhandled Exception!

A. The drivers that Windows XP installs for your video card do not support OpenGL. If you have an NVidia card get the latest drivers from NVidia. If you have a Voodoo card, head here for a tutorial to get it working properly, or you can try the WickedGL Drivers.

Q. I keep getting Unhandled Exception at C0000005! WTF is this crap?

A. There can be many reasons for getting an Unhandled Exception error. So many reasons, I've decided to dedicate a whole page to it.

Q. I'm running Windows 95/98. When I start up Tribes 2, a black screen or an error message comes up and then disappears.

A. Head to Microsoft's Knowledge Base here. If that solution doesn't work or doesn't apply (Windows 2000/XP users) try downloading this ClientPrefs file. Extract it into the Tribes2\Gamedata\base\prefs directory.

Q. I have problems with Tribes 2 during the Intro Movie.

A. You may need to disable the Tribes 2 Intro Movie if you're having trouble. To do this, you need to edit the clientprefs.cs file. You can locate the file in Dynamix\Tribes2\gamedata\base\prefs. Open the file with Notepad or any text editor of your choice and find the line $pref::SkipIntro = "0";. Change the 0 to a 1 and then save the file and exit. Tribes 2 generates this file the first time you start it. If it's not there, you can download it here.

Q. Whenever I connect to any server online on T2, within a minute or so I get kicked out and I receive the error message: "Connection Lost".

A. If you've installed any weapon skins, new textures, or new models, the Tribes 2 CRC check is most likely the culprit. The only thing you can do about this is to remove those skins, textures and models, or find a server that has CRC Checking disabled.

Q. I forgot my password! HELP!

A. If you remember your username, click the "E-mail me my login information" button. If you forgot your username, then you will need to either e-mail or call Sierra Customer support and explain to them your dilemma. You will need to have your CD Key handy, as this is what they will use to validate you as the account holder. Once they validate you, they will reset your username and account.

Q. When I try to login to Tribes 2, I get the error "Unable to fetch Authentication Servers". What's the deal?

A. First, make sure you are connected to the Internet. Second, if you are running a firewall like ZoneAlarm, make sure you have it set to allow Tribes 2 to access the Internet. The third possibility is the Tribes 2 Authentication servers may be down.

Q. I can't access any of the community features!

A. If you are able to login to Tribes 2, but cannot access the community features, the Tribes 2 Community Servers may be down. There is nothing you can do about this except wait for them to come back online.

Q. My mouse buttons keep sticking! When I let go of the fire or jet buttons, I keep firing and jetting anyway!

A. Open up the console by hitting the tilde (~) key. In there, type mousefire(0); or mousejet(0);.

Q. When Tribes 2 starts loading a mission, it freezes at the "Loading Objects" phase and/or kicks me back to the desktop. It gives the error message, "Fatal ISV (bitmapPng.cc @89) PNG Error: extra compressed data".

A. This error generally pops up when your CD-ROM drive has problems reading the Tribes 2 CD for CD Checking. Some newer CD Drives may be more sensitive to erroneous data written on a CD. Try another CD-ROM Drive if you are getting this error. If you made a copy of the Tribes 2 CD and are using that to play, switch it with the original CD. Errors have been reported when trying to use backups of the original CD.

Q. When I try to make a Tribes 2 account, it gives me the error: "Account Creation Failed: CDKEY in use -2902". Did someone steal my CD-Key?!

A. If the warrior name you are trying to make is already registered you will get the error: "Account creation Failed: CDKEY in use -2902". You will keep getting this error until you register with a unique warrior name. If you continue getting this error, email [email protected] and inform them of your problem. They will need the Tribes 2 CD Key and the e-mail address you used when you tried to setup your account.

Q. When I try to make a Tribes 2 account, I get the error: "Account Creation Failed. CDKEY has already been used to create an account." What's up with this?!

A. There are two possibilites for receiving this error:

1) You may have already created your account. Type in your login name and click "E-mail me my Login Info" to check if your account was created.

2) You may have purchased a copy of Tribes 2 that had been returned by a previous user. If that is the case, then you need to e-mail [email protected] and let them know your problem. They will need your CD-Key.

Q. Whenever I am inside buildings, the walls randomly turn different colors and flash. Everything is fine when I'm outside, it only happens inside.

A. Disable "Vertex Lighting" in Tribes 2's Settings under Graphics.

Q. I'm running Windows XP, and in Tribes 2 I experience moments of lag whenever a sound is played. None of my other games have this problem!

A. For some reason, Windows XP, Tribes 2, and a High Point RAID Controller do not get along well together. If you have a motherboard with a High Point RAID Controller, first check to see if your sound card is sharing an IRQ with the RAID Controller. If it is, make sure you change it so that the RAID Controller has its own IRQ. If this solution doesn't work, then there are 2 other solutions, both of which you will not like. You will have to disable the HighPoint RAID Controller and move your Hard Drives onto a different IDE Channel, or you will have to Disable your Sound Card. Currently, these are the only known solutions for this problem.

Q. The water and lava in the game have razor sharp edges and are very jagged. What gives?!

A. Enable 32 bit color in Tribes 2. It is an issue with the Z-Buffer. If enabling 32 bit color does not solve the problem, make sure that your desktop is set to 32 bit color.

Q. I received some message box in the game about being unable to log in because the account is already in use. It told me to wait 20 minutes and try again. Is my account stolen?

No, your account is not stolen. You'll usually get this error if Tribes 2 quit abnormally (ie: crashed or lost connection). The reason you get it is because the Tribes 2 Authentication servers haven't received notice that you logged off. Wait about 20 minutes and the account will time out. Once that happens you should be able to log on again.

Q. Tribes 2 crashes after the Intro movie and gives me a Fatal Exception error mentioning VXD Wsipx. What should I do?

A. You will need to install or reinstall the IPX/SPX network protocol. To do this, follow these instructions:
1. Double-click the Network icon in the Control Panel to display the Network Configuration screen.

2. Scroll through the Network Configuration entries to see if the “IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol” entry is listed. If the entry is present, then the IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol may need to be removed and then added again. If the entry is not present, click the <Add> button to begin the installation of the protocol.

3. Highlight the “Protocol” entry in the Select Network Component Type dialog box and click <Add>.

4. In the Select Network Protocol screen, select “Microsoft” from the Manufacturer’s list on the left-hand side of the dialog box and then choose “IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol” from the list on the right-hand side.

5. Click <OK> to return to the Network Configuration screen. Click <OK> again to complete the installation of the IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol. Restart the computer when prompted.

NOTE: You will be prompted to insert a Windows 95 or Windows 98 CD-ROM (depending on the computer’s operating system) to complete the installation of the IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol.

6. After the computer has been restarted, double-click the Control Panel’s Network icon and confirm that the “IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol” entry appears in the Network Configuration list.

Q. I'm running Windows XP with a Voodoo 3/4/5, and I can't get Tribes 2 to run. Any suggestions?

A. The following suggestion comes from HellBent:

Uninstall Tribes 2 and delete the directory. Follow the installation guide found here. DO NOT install the WickedGL drivers. In the "Properties" section of the shortcut go to the "compatibility" tab and set it to run compatible for Windows 2000. That is the only one that worked for me. If I set it to be compatible for Windows 98 I would get sound but no graphics. Set to Windows 2000 everything works fine. I did not have to set the 640x480 mode in the compatibility tab. From there I was able to start the game, change the resolution, and everything is working fine. The Wicked3d drivers may work but I opted to try it without them. I'm currently using the Amigamerlin drivers for XP which can be found here.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Unhandled Exception Suggestions

Do a clean install of Tribes 2 (uninstall the game, delete the Tribes 2 directory, then reinstall). Run the First Aid Utility to make sure all the files copied over from the CD. Then patch up to the latest version of Tribes 2 using the AutoUpdater.

Delete all *.DSO files from your Tribes 2 subdirectories. DSO files are compiled scripts. Tribes2 does not compile updated scripts if a .DSO of the same name is present. This can cause scripts to not work properly, UEs, and other problems. You can do this manually, or you can download Absynthe's DSO Killer. Once done, restart Tribes 2.

Make sure your computer meets the minimum specifications. More specifically, make sure your video card is supported. Update to the latest drivers. NVidia card owners should be using OpenGL and Voodoo owners should be using Direct3D. Generic NVidia drivers can be found here. Voodoo users can also try the WickedGL drivers. Other Voodoo drivers can be found here.

Find the OpenGL2D3D.dll file in Tribes2\Gamedata directory. Rename it to OpenGL2D3D.bak. DO NOT delete it. This file is needed for patching the game. When a new patch comes out, you will need to rename it back to OpenGL2D3D.dll to patch the game successfully.

Try reducing the Hardware Sound Acceleration by one notch. Go to Start-->Run and type in dxdiag. Click the Sound Tab and move Hardware Sound Acceleration Level down one notch.

Reduce your AGP Speed from 4x to 2x. Your motherboard and Video Card may not be running stable.

If you have a Motherboard with a VIA chipset, make sure you have the latest VIA 4-in-1 Drivers.

If you are using Windows 2000 and have an AMD Processor, try the Microsoft Windows 2000 Patch for AGP Applications. Windows XP supposedly fixes this problem, but if you are having problems it's worth a try.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for all your hardware.

You may have bad RAM or a RAM conflict. If you have extra RAM modules or you have mixed 2 different types of RAM, try swapping them out.

Users that have Motherboards with VIA Chipsets should also try the mini-drivers for their chipsets. They can be found at VIA's Site.

Scan your system for Spyware. I recommend LavaSoft's Ad-Aware.

Scan your system for Viruses and Trojans.

Hit Control-Alt-Delete and close down any unnecessary programs.

Try updating your Motherboard's BIOS. Note: This can be very risky, suggested for advanced users only.

If all else fails, you can try Sierra's generic response. Who knows, maybe it'll work!