Sam, Gonz, fury...

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
You guys hear about this?

[quoteurl=http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/157452-5764-109.html]
Indiana offers free software to residents

Any Hoosier with a computer and internet access will be a mouse-click away from free software that will provide e-mail, word processing, file sharing and other tools.

Lt. Gov. Kathy Davis announced the new SimIndiana program this morning at the Indiana State Library.

"SimIndiana is the first statewide technology inclusion program of its kind, and we are making it available to all Hoosiers at no cost," Davis said. "This eliminates the economic barriers that have prevented some people from utilizing and benefiting from technology."

People can use their personal computer, or a computer available at schools and libraries across the state, to set up a SimIndiana account by going to www.mylocal.IN.gov or by picking up a SimIndiana CD-ROM from any Indiana public library.

Once the account is set up, Davis said, the software will allow for e-mail; remote printing; spread sheets; calendars and other computer tools at any computer. Users documents are then stored on a remote, secure server and can be accessed from any Web-enabled device.

With the software, she said, a small business can connect employees in different parts of the state, or someone can access all their computer needs at any computer anywhere.

"If I'm at a kiosk in San Francisco," she said, "I'll have more than my e-mail available to me; I'll have my whole computer available to me."

The $6 million cost -- about $1 per Hoosier -- is being footed by SimDesk TechnologiesThe Houston-based firm has several Indiana investors, Davis said, and is partnering with Hewlett-Packard NonStop servers to provide the service.

Davis said the program will be offered for free for two years. After that, the state will decide whether to seek funding to continue it.[/quoteurl]

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I heard something last night on the radio. Will be looking into it very soon.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
me to sounds interesting but not sure i would really want anything too personal for the world to see.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Too open to misuse. Gotta give too much personal info for what is probably a bad version of StarOffice.