PhoenixNet Update

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Well, it appears all the hard work paid off. The petitions, complaints, web sites that informed people and general bitching helped in the end.

PhoenixNet

It appears they have dropped their marketing plan to the masses. Going to keep the page up at my site for the forseeable future and may even add soem things to it. Not sure if Phoenix is just playing blind mans bluff here.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
:cool: I didn't expect that to happen at all, much less so fast.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
hehe. I've been checking my site hit logs on occasion. Phoenix has been viewing my site at least five times a day. That and the petition along with all the BBS's that have showed great interest in it have also contributed. Epox dropped out and I think a few other boards followed suite after it started getting more vocal. It could be that Phoenix is just telling us it's dead though. They might still be developing it and not saying so. Not sure if that's legal or not though. Regardless, until I know PhoenixNet is no longer shipped with any motherboard, I'll continue to host the page and update it.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
I just visited your site. I really know nothing about computers.
I took one look at the postcodes and ran away scared! Stupid question, what are they away?

If you're buying your parts from the Guys Computers, I hope you're getting a better price than what they have posted on their site.
Too expensive! eg IBM HD 7200rpm 60GB they sell for $312US. I can get it for $280CND.

Anyhow, cool little site man.:thup:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
You disin' my company? ARGH! hehe. Haven't updated guys comps web site in tooooooo long now. :) Time is something kids have tons of and parents have none of. :lol:

A post code is a hex code that is sent to port 80h (some computers send it to other ports, but 80h is pretty standard now) during the bootup of a computer. A post card is a device that you can use to read these codes and determine what a problem is. Say your computer is not booting properly. It dosen't get past the POST so you have no video. These cards can be used to help determine what it is that is causing the problem. Just insert one into either a ISA or PCI slot and read the hex output displayed on the LED indicator then compare it to a list of known codes.

Here is an image of a post card from another thread I just posted in.

The more expensive ones have the capability to bypass the system BIOS and boot the motherboard into a system dependent OS. Awesome devices, but $1500 is a bit pricey for me. :)