My brakes grind like hell

law2

I don't hear the wear detectors but they grind like hell.

Shouldn't the wear detectors warm me before it hit metal to metal?

Should I check?

S

s4

If you are hearing grinding sounds, it's too late for that. The best thing to do is either fix them yourself if you are mechanically inclined or take them to the shop. It will only get worse and cost you more by putting it off. Many times rotors and drums can be used over if they are put on the machine. If they are ground too much, they will need replacing. My advice is not to drive it much while it's like that.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Many mechanics, espescially brake shops bend the wear indicator out of the way when they do a brake job and never bother to put it back.

Deanril

S4 - Perfect assessment and advice!

Professor- maybe ....Ive never heard of that one ,NOR do I or anyone I know in my field practice such practices.

I believe in carma ect....we allready get a really bad rap as it is....I wouldnt want to do what people think we do.

Infact I hate when cutomers IMPLY I did something ,like the other day I did a SMOG on this idiots car ,and ofcoarse turned the AC off ,using the controls on the dash ,you dont want the compressor cycling while you are trying to hold the car at a steady speed on the dyno ,nor do you want the extra load on the engine.

Anyway he comes back after he left "my AC doesnt work ,and it did before I brought it here" ............. me(yeah learn how to use your cars controls idiot) ,I go out and flip the switch all is well ,but this happens all the time ,blame us for this and that ,sure we make millions we can afford to buy a new engine for you......

"I had a new engine put in(at some other shop) ,you better gaurantee my car will pass SMOG!!!!!"

Me(idiot) Me" did you change the fuel mangement system ie ,fuel injectors ,sensors ,cataletic convertors ,ect...."

customer "no"

Me ,"well out of 500 Smog repairs I only replaced 1 engine ,as a SMOG Repair ,the other 499 were sensors and other components"

Customer "DUH"

As you can see ,Im fed up with them ,I have a million stories all blaming me ,or us the shop ,all wrong ,all because of the bad rap mechanics get ,and we have families and are working hard to make a living.

My tools cost me $30,000+ My hands get cut everyday ,I have grease everyday on me ,this job is physically hard and demanding aswell as Mentally ,The cars are extremely sophisticated ,and no Monkey Wrench mechanic could even dream of fixing them ,you have to be trained ,and keep up on the training ,and all the time theres the customer not trusting you and insinuating you are a CHEAT.

Thats why I started my other business ........Computer shop !!! much better......I do half cars and half computers ,one day all computer and no cars,maybe in a year or so.....

Professur

Mushroom at large
I don't blame you for being tired of getting a bum rap. And as for the "well it worked before..." I get that too.

But you have to agree that not all garages live up to your standard. How is the average joe like me gonna know if he's got an honest mechanic, a con artist, or a total yutz? Three times, I thought I'd got a good shop. And they proved me wrong. What do we need to look for?

BTW I spent the better part of a day trying to get that effing alt off. The moron that changed it last time (for a scrap one off a hyundai) must have used standard tools instead of metric and rounded off all the nuts. Finally, I asked the kid next door (who took autoshop in school) for help. He rummaged through my toolbox for the exact socket he wanted (12mm long) and hammered it onto the nut. He had the bitch off in 12 seconds. I, the great and wonderful computer tech, had blown a day and was stumped. A 15 year old kid did it in 12 seconds. Yeah, I respect mechanics. I don't trust them. But I respect them.