Mazar-e-Sharif-Updated

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Finally a break (maybe)

By STEVEN GUTKIN, Associated Press Writer

JABAL SARAJ, Afghanistan (AP) - The opposition proclaimed victory Friday over the Taliban in the city of Mazar-e-Sharif, the most significant prize in northern Afghanistan. An American official confirmed opposition forces were in the city and said fighters of the ruling Islamic militia were fleeing.

The capture of Mazar-e-Sharif would be the biggest success since President Bush launched airstrikes Oct. 7 to punish the Taliban for refusing to hand over Osama bin Laden , chief suspect in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

If the opposition can hold the city - which in the late 1990s changed hands several times and was the site of bloody massacres - it would open a land bridge to neighboring Uzbekistan, allow a flood of weapons and supplies to the opposition alliance and give U.S.-led forces their first major staging ground in Afghanistan for the campaign against the Taliban.

The commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt said scores planes from the aircraft carrier took off late Friday to attack Taliban troops retreating from Mazar-e-Sharif.

``We thought this would be a very slow advance on the city, (but) it appears the Taliban have fallen back and over the course of the day, we've seen numerous convoys coming out of that area,'' Rear Adm. Mark Fitzgerald said.

``Our airplanes that are out there provided air support and battlefield air interdiction against those forces,'' he said.

S

s4

I'm glad they are making progress. I was concerned for a while that the US efforts weren't getting anything done. I'd like to see those Taliban Towel-Heads out of power for good.

Gonzo

Staff member
UPDATED---WOOHOO, #1 victory

By STEVEN GUTKIN, Associated Press Writer

JABAL SARAJ, Afghanistan (AP) - The Taliban acknowledged early Saturday that it lost the city of Mazar-e-Sharif to opposition forces in northern Afghanistan. American officials confirmed opposition forces were in the city and said fighters of the ruling Islamic militia were fleeing.

The Taliban's Bakhtar News Agency said fighters of the Islamic militia had been forced to retreat with their weapons and equipment because of sustained bombing by U.S. warplanes.

``For seven days continuously they have been bombing Taliban positions. They used very large bombs,'' said Bakhtar chief Abdul Henan Hemat.

The capture of Mazar-e-Sharif on Friday was the biggest success since President Bush launched airstrikes Oct. 7 to punish the Taliban for refusing to hand over Osama bin Laden, chief suspect in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

If the opposition can hold the city - which in the late 1990s changed hands several times and was the site of bloody massacres - it would open a land bridge to neighboring Uzbekistan, allow a flood of weapons and supplies to the opposition alliance and give U.S.-led forces their first major staging ground in Afghanistan for the campaign against the Taliban.

Gonzo

Staff member
Originally posted by br0ck
So what's next? What city or area is the good guys going after now?

Before we worry about taking more area, we have to consider setting up a logistics area. Food, clothing, ammo, housing, etc. Once we have the airfield secured & stockpiled, THEN we take out Kandahar(sic?)

S

s4

I don't pretend to know anything about Afganistan, so none of this means too much to me. The main thing that I see that could be a problem is that US Officials have said in the past that the Northern Allainance is not going to play a major role in the new government once it is established. It seems to me that we are counting heavily on them for ground support, so why wouldn't they be a major player in the new government?

Gonzo

Staff member
In the easiest terms possible, the Apaches didn't like the Arapaho, nor the Navajoes the Hopi. It's exactly the same there-tribal warfare-for 5000 years.