Is it possible...

Inkara1

I would guess that they would be, since the ABS is a computerized electronic system that kicks in when it senses a wheel locking up. But, considering how interrelated everything is on these newfangled cars, I'd defer to someone who makes his living fixing cars to answer that question.

leslie

We figured the ECM system would make too much of an ordeal of it too.

The thing was, the master cylinder was gone on the new car we had to buy quick. The one for a Bonneville of our year runs between $1300 and $2700 (depending on who we talked to) with abs (which ours has), and $45 without abs, and we did not want to pay that huge pile of dough out. But, we managed to find a wrecker that didn't know that :lol: and have purchased the item for a cool $30. So YAY us, problem solved. :D

Inkara1

Hmm... I never realized that an ABS-equipped car would have a different master cylinder than a non-ABS car... although it does make sense.

Professur

Mushroom at large
The ABS master cylinder has electric solenoids in it to 'force' it to release the pressure. GM recommends using a special electronic tool to relieve the pressure from them before doing any brake work. But i haven't found a single mechanic who actually does it.

leslie

Really? :eek: We didn't know about that, just that it's a dealer item. Wow, aren't we lucky it worked when we installed it! :lol: