IE6 problem?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I didn't really notice this until after using Firebird for a while. It seems that IE won't use/look at the cache for stored pages. Let's say I come here and it downloads every little button/item then I go off somewhere else. Later I come back here and it redownloads every little button/smiley/item again. It's becoming really annoying on dialup. :(

I've checked my temp internet files settings (set to 100mB) and it's automatically set to check for new versions of stored pages (changing this setting does nothing). Anything else I'm missing? Win XP Pro and all latest patches installed. Thanks.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
A few possibilities, although nobody ever knows for sure, since IE is such a loose cannon.

1) Stale cookies
2) Corrupt temporary internet files
3) Not enough system resources

Solutions:

1) Delete cookies
2) Delete temporary internet files and change the location to a new folder so it doesn't try to use any files that were left behind
3) Reboot

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Thanks fury; I've done all that but #2. See if that makes a difference. :shrug:

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
No luck. I'm going back to Mozilla for the time being (even if it can't render some pages accurately). :cuss:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Tools/internet options/Temp internet files settings/check for newer version of page...it may be set too reload every visit (mine is, by choice)

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
No, I tried every one of those settings with no effect. I might try to do a repair of IE later.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
No it's not. But it wouldn't matter anyways because I'm on the net for a good 4-5 hours a day straight and it will always repeat the above symptoms during that time I'm using IE (before I exit). :confused:

It's weird.

catocom

Machinehead
Huge have you tried logging in as a different user, then delete all
the index.dat file, like in the cookies, and temp-inet folders?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I'll try it again; I haven't used IE since yesterday. Just came from M$'s knowledge base with no luck...

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Still not reading what's in cache. I've cycled through a bunch of sites and it's still downloading everything again on each visit. Oh well, guess I'll have to live with it barring a reformat (which is probably due anyways).