I think I'm going to give linux a try

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Windows is a piece of crap. So I'm gonna give Linux a try on my duron and see if it works.

Any pointers I should know about?

It's a duron 700 (overclockable to 1 gig, until today) with 128 megs of ram.

I know I won't be able to use the winmodem in Linux, but I just wanted to check Linux out

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Holy crap! That site is huge!

Thanks, w4a!

Anyways, I forgot to mention the distro I have: Redhat 7

S

s4

I've heard that Mandrake 8 is a great product. I'd love to stick linux on this dang mac but with only a 250 mb hard drive, I doubt X Windows will fit. :cry:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
just stick a bigger HDD in there s4...oh thats right, you can't
*keels over in a fit of laughter*

...who would ever need more than 250mb of space anyway :D

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
With that Duron you should have no problems with the latest Distro's. Drake 8 or Redhat 7.1 will run great on it. At least a 2 gig hard drive is recommended. Bigger is better though. Another great site for you to check out is Linmodems and the following also Winmodems are not modems. Both have some great information on PCI based modems under Linux. Hope they help.

Besides that, at least 64MB of RAM, better still would be 128MB. With either distro, you can easily run Windows in a dual boot configuration. Both will see the Windows partitions during the install and offer to make a stansa for it in lilo.conf. When you go to reboot, you simply type in the name of the Windows stansa (RedHat names it dos by defualt, but you can change the name of it) and you boot into Windows. Type in Linux or just hit enter and you boot into Linux. Hope this info helps some. Let me know if you need any assistance.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Originally posted by Q
just stick a bigger HDD in there s4...oh thats right, you can't
*keels over in a fit of laughter*

...who would ever need more than 250mb of space anyway :D

Those Macs used SCSI drives. You should be able to find a 4GB cheap. It does not have to be for Mac specifically. SCSI=SCSI