hmm

fury

Administrator
Staff member
dad's '94 T-bird, lately, has been getting repairs that cost more than outright buying another T-bird.

Would it be worth the risk of taking over the insurance/license payments just to get a car I'm (sort of) familiar with?

Deanril

Ill bet it has a 3.8l and dad had to get new head gaskets.....

The 3.8l are bad motors period. If it has a 4.6 v8 those are great motors.

Usually when a ford of your desciption hits 100k miles its time to reinvest or buy a new car ,if dad allready paid the big bucks ,it may run well for awhile.........hell its a 94 .

Inkara1

The 3.8 in the 1991 Sable my parents used to have was a good engine, although we only put 89K on the car before we traded it in. I'd say look out for the service department at the Ford dealer more than look out for the engine. The original plugs went over 80,000 miles thanks to our wonderfully honest dealer (who sold us an extended warranty then when we had to replace the ignition switch told us it wasn't covered because it's not a manually-operated switch).

Had they switched the T-bird from the 302 to the modular 4.6 yet in 1994? In any event, the 4.6 might be a good engine, but a downside of it is that it's as big on the outside as a Boss 429 but has slightly less displacement than a 289.

Inkara1

FTR the going rate for 1994 T-birds in my area seems to be about $6,000, and that's with the V6. I'm not sure what premium the V8 would command, but in any case if you've had to sink $6000 worth of repairs into it... then that's getting to be a bit much. A whole new engine shouldn't be more than $3000.