Forest Employee Charged in Wildfires

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
no, it's not funny but I can't help but LMAO at the irony...

Sun Jun 16,10:49 PM ET
By JENNIFER HAMILTON, Associated Press Writer

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (AP) - A U.S. Forest Service employee set the fire that scorched more than 100,000 acres in Colorado and forced thousands to evacuate by burning a letter from her estranged husband in the Pike National Forest, authorities said Sunday.

Forestry technician Terry Barton, 38, admitted starting the fire while patrolling the forest to enforce a fire ban, said assistant U.S. Attorney Bill Leone.

She was charged with setting fire to timber in the national forest, damaging federal property and making false statements to investigators, Leone said.

Barton said she started burning the letter from her estranged husband within a designated campfire ring, where fires normally would be allowed, then tried to put out the blaze.

"She attempted to suppress the fire but it grew," Leone said.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
boy are they pissed

DENVER (AP) - A U.S. Forest Service technician accused of starting the wildfire that has blackened nearly 103,000 acres and destroyed 22 homes appeared in court in handcuffs Monday and was ordered held without bail.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I heard that on the radio today. How in the hell did they catch her?

alex

She originally reported the fire and there were inconsistancies in her story and she finally confessed.....I think they even found part of the letter she tried to burn.......dumbass.