Dems win NJ & VA, NYC is too close

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Democrats captured governorships in Virginia and New Jersey on Tuesday, breaking eight years of Republican control. In New York City, still reeling from the Sept. 11 terror attack, the mayoral race was a cliffhanger.

In Virginia, Democrat Mark Warner, a wealthy entrepreneur who has never held elected office, led Republican Mark Earley, a former state attorney general, 52 percent to 47 percent in nearly complete returns.

In New Jersey, Democrat Jim McGreevey, a suburban mayor who narrowly lost a race for governor four years ago, rolled to a landslide victory over former Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler.

Bloomberg, the winner of the NYC mayoral race is a Democrat-turned-Republican, promised voters he would keep up the momentum of term-limited Rudolph Giuliani. Bloomberg, whose financial information company bears his name, spent an estimated $50 million of his own fortune in his first-ever race, blanketing the airwaves with ads to overcome the initial lead by Democratic rival Mark Green.

S

s4

I used to vote for Democrats, but I prefer to vote Republican these days.

S

s4

I'm speaking from a general standpoint. Sure I look at who is running for office before voting.