Cisco Certification or Not...?

Hey all,

I have a quick opinion question for you. I hope it's in the right forum. I didn't think it fit in hardware.

I am an MCSE, who is not sure which direction to go next. I feel that Cisco may be good, but it is losing market share. I don't know if I should get started on CCNA, or if I should move along to something else. I want to do a Linux cert, but I'm sure that won't help me as much. I am obviously looking for a balance of what I want to do and what will pay well.

I am already paid very well and have a good job. I don't want to leave, I just simply want to keep up my skills.

Any thoughts...........anything :D

Laterz :smash:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
id go the cisco route. it may seem like its losing ground but it will sharpen your skills when it comes to the network hardware end. specially if your current job decides to go that way with their haardware.
Going thru that where im at now. :)

greenfreak

Have you considered Novell certification? They're not dominating right now but it's not that difficult to get the low-end cert (Certified Netware Administrator?) and I've seen a few jobs out there looking for it.

I haven't gone for Cisco yet either. Do you have the NT MCSE or 2000 MCSE? I have to start hitting the books for the 2000/XP MCSE.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Once I get done with school, I'll be getting both CNA and MCSE. Cisco is good as well but I don't have enough experience.

No Offence, but Novell Certs are a joke right now. I have been in the feild for about 5 years and a good buddy of mine that I work with is a CNE and an MCSE. He only gets jobs based on his MCSE.

I am working in a LARGE hospital right now that is 50% Novell and 50% NT/2000. I have my MCSE for NT4 but know a great deal about 2000. We are replacing Novell Servers with Win2k servers ( and so is about every other company that I know of).

Neo, as far as the Cisco stuff goes....we currently run all Cisco equiptment, I just don't get to work on it. I work on the servers!

Network is about 1200 node network right now.

I think I'm gonna do Cisco while I'm there.....might as well I guess.

:lol:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Same here B4TMANN at corporate thats all they use. we have to make the switch as hubs/switches go down. Everything will be replaced with managed switches. i got around 15-20 hubs around the building. Im hoping that I will get training as well on them. Nice thing is i get to play as i go. :)

I agree about the novell certs, Way to expensive and in the end nothing more than i can already do. I started in 3.11 and quit in 5.5 It sucked. specially if you wanted to admin from a 2k machine. Their clients are something to be desired.