YOUR IP info

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
From ZDTV (aka TechTV)
Run this & write all the info dowm, just in case;)

If you suddenly lose your broadband connection to the Internet, you might try using a little-known utility in Windows 98 and Me called winipcfg (in Windows 2000, it's called ipconfig). Winipcfg allows you to see the IP information used by your network interface card.
To access winipcfg:
1. Click on the start menu and select Run.
2. If you are using Windows 98 or Me, type "winipcfg" in the Open box. If you are using Windows 2000, type "ipconfig".
3. A window should appear with IP information.
Release and renew
Winipcfg has two buttons, release and renew. The release button releases any IP addresses assigned to your NIC. The renew button causes your NIC to go out and get a new IP address.
If you suddenly lose your broadband Ethernet connection, you can try releasing the IP address your NIC is currently using and get a new IP address.
There are two ways to release an IP address:
1. When you are in winipcfg (by following the steps above), click on the Release button.
2. At the run command (Start menu > Run), type "winipcfg /release" for Windows 98 and Me. Type "ipconfig /release" for Windows 2000.
There are two ways to renew an IP address:
1. When you are in winipcfg (by following the steps above), click on the Renew button.
2. At the run command (Start menu > Run), type "winipcfg /renew" for Windows 98 and Me. Type "ipconfig /renw" for Windows 2000.
If you try release/renew and your connection is still down, you might have a problem with your broadband connection. Time to give your ISP a call.

alex

running win2k here, tried it this morn and a window "flashed" on the screen and disappeared immediatly. I can run it if I open a command prompt window though.