*Yawning*...Is it contagious?

D

Dark Angel

:yawn:
I guess it's just one of those wonders of science.....funny enough though....we're all apart of this advanced technology vasting in computers and launching off rockets....but yet we don't have a substantial answer to this simple question....and yes I've read and heard that the act of yawning is oxygen for our brain....give me your thoughts or another logical theory.
:yawn:

Attachments

• hippoyawn.jpg
    hippoyawn.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 50

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It's a psychological thing

Much the same thing that happens when you think "Man, I'd better not forget to do that" then the next thing you know "AWW SHEIT! I forgot!"

What happens is that when you think about what you don't want to do (forget to do that), a visual appears in your mind of you forgetting it, or the results of you forgetting it, and subconsciously, your mind tries to figure out ways to make it happen.

When you see or hear someone yawning, you imagine sleepyness/wakingness/some other change of body mode (like going from being in an athletic mode to sitting down and watching TV or something), and so without even thinking about it, you yawn too (or get the urge to yawn) because that is what you were visualizing inside your mind.

Funny I should know all this stuff about minds, when mine is all scrambled and odd :smash:

D

Dark Angel

:spin:*Stretches out arms and yawns*:spin:

Thanks Fury.....now I have a more informative understanding of the art and act of 'yawning......cheers buddy

Attachments

• tigeryawn.jpg
    tigeryawn.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 42

Bronto

mofo extraordinaire
Hiyas
A while back at a Family reunion, was a little kid. I yawned and was taken to the side by an older cousin Aunt or someone. She said it's not good manners to Yawn in Public. Nowadays I cover my yawns with a hand. Dumb what things one makes habits of. :eh:
Bronto

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Bronto, it's an old wives tale that evil spirits could invade your body while you were yawning, that's why you're supposed to cover your mouth.:lol:

patweb

Eater of Hot Peppered Steak
Try this, walk into a room with a lot of people and then fake a yawn (it is easy if you try). Then ask if it is contagious!