WWF vs WCW vs ECW

flurff

My favorite part of last night's show: Steve picks the guitar up, tweaks it, makes some small talk to distract vince, suddenly WHAM! right over the head with the guitar

Stone Cold knocks Vince out cold.

flurff

Oh, in case you were wondering, WWF bought WCW. I'm not quite sure how the ECW thing happened... The parent company has filed for bankruptcy if I'm not mistaken.

They're actually getting in some trouble over using ECW trademarks :eek:

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
Um, ECW went bankrupt, and now former ECW owner Paul Heyman now does some commentary for WWF shows. And yes, WWF bought WCW.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Originally posted by fury
WCW/ECW is going down. Period.

WWF will embarass them

Once upon a time (circal 1996) WCW embarrassed WWF in the ratings. Just wait til WCW *actually* puts some legit stars out. No Scott Steiner, no Nash/Hall, Flair, etc. etc.

But this ECW angle seems to be interesting...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
WCW has been using the same guys over and over and over again to try and get ratings. Now that those stars are either not signing for a new contract or are working out monetary issues with AOL/TW, the "less famous" ones are the ones that get to take their place

I'm glad the "less famous" ones are the ones representing WCW, because it gives them a chance to get over as superstars, etc...

The one thing that finally made WWF the number one brand was the quality of their talent, not quantity.

One thing i noticed was the crowd didn't seem too enthusiastic when WCW started this whole invasion thing. But there was a huge response when ECW came into the picture.

It was because the 10 people who practically defined ECW were the representatives. The dudleys, Tazz, Rhyno, RVD, etc... If they had brought out people like Sandman, etc it would've been pretty much like the response to team WCW.

But the 10 men who gave ECW its title as extreme finally brought the realization of a threat to the WWF, and that's what brought the huge response...

I would REALLY love to see this PPV, but I don't have satellite and I don't have a PPV box (required to view it on cable) :(

HavoK

Sayian Elite
All I can say if wrestling is great and whatever Vince wants to do, Vince will make it happen :D

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yes, I agree with you flurffy; WCW got extremely successful and hence, eventually got extremely lazy on how they got there. Then they had no clue on how to run a wrassling promotion.

But one thing; WWF, like Microsoft, gobbled up every little wrassling promotion they could get their hands on. I commend Vince Jr. on running a very successful business.

But then he screwed his arguably number one talent, Bret Hart in Summerslam '97. Then he killed Owen in '99; trying to rip off Sting's entrance from WCW. Owen was never certified to repel down from the rafters; was only given one training session before the PPV.

I grew up on the WWF; even before Hulk Hogan beat the Iron Shiek back in '83. Wrassling has changed from those days. To quote 'The HonkeyTonk Man' (remember him?) "How many people have to die for this organization to make a buck? How many is enough?"

It wasn't my bro who was killed on that May day in '99...but sometimes I feel a part of me did. Now I feel I'm sleeping with the enemy watching WWF broadcasts.

But if I want to watch wrassling, I have no choice now...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Vince did not kill Owen Hart.

A tragic accident killed Owen Hart.

As I recall, he slipped off the edge of the rafters without any gear on at all. So even with years of training, it still would've happened.

As for the infamous Bret Hart Screwing, yeah, I agree it wasn't the best way to end the show for Vince to cut it off like that, but what else could he do? Vince intended on the title changing hands that night, and Bret wouldn't go for it. Wrestling is no different than any other business. If you don't listen to the boss, bad things can happen to you, like what happened that day.

unclehobart

this is my special title
Owen was hooked into the harness but the arrestor hook wasn't rated for that much weight so it failed and broke apart. I think the WWF coughed up 14 mil over that one.

The new wave of WCW talent may have the look and the moves but it simply won't work. They lack the one essential talent that gets a wrestler over. The speech. Austin, Foley, the APA, Shane, Rock... they all have camera charisma and can turn a crowd on a whim like a gladiator of old. If you don't have the 'speech', you won't make it to the top.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
You definitely need mic skills in order to be successful. Everyone you mentioned Uncle has that and that is why the crowd loves/hates them.

Owen fell because the quick release system on his harness somehow got released (whether he did it by accident or the rigging was screwed, no one will probably ever know). And add to the factor that Owen was terrified of heights...you get the picture. If you get A&E/The Biography Channel, keep an eye out for Owen's.

As for Bret, yes the title was supposed to change hands in Montreal; Vince was terrified that Bret would show up on WCW with his belt. But this all come back to months earlier WCW was wooing Bret with a sh*tload of $$$ and Bret resigned with Vince for a 20-year contract for significantly less money.