Wine Fun

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I was playing around with the latest release of Wine a couple nights ago and was suprised at what I could run on my dual boot machine set up so that Wine paths, drives = my Windows paths, drives and to use all native .dll's. I.E. 5.5 ran but was slower than Nutscrape. Word and Excel both crapped out. WinZip worked perfectly. Unreal Tournament ran very slowly. ICQ would start but could never find my internet connection (maybe because I am using the SMC router). VistaScan for my Umax SCSI scanner worked perfectly! Calc, wordpad, paint and freecell all worked. But I am mostly psyched about VistaScan working since I have yet to find a Linux scanning program I liked as well. Gee, next I will try to run Adaptec EZ CD creator!?

Fun Stuff. :D

S

s4

Sounds interesting. I'd like to know if Adaptec EasyCd would work under Wine. The only thing is would it be able to read the Linux partitions?

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Yes, you set up Linux partitions as network drives in the config file and assign them drive letters.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Originally posted by wine4all
I was playing around with the latest release of Wine a couple nights ago and was suprised at what I could run on my dual boot machine set up so that Wine paths, drives = my Windows paths, drives and to use all native .dll's. I.E. 5.5 ran but was slower than Nutscrape. Word and Excel both crapped out. WinZip worked perfectly. Unreal Tournament ran very slowly. ICQ would start but could never find my internet connection (maybe because I am using the SMC router). VistaScan for my Umax SCSI scanner worked perfectly! Calc, wordpad, paint and freecell all worked. But I am mostly psyched about VistaScan working since I have yet to find a Linux scanning program I liked as well. Gee, next I will try to run Adaptec EZ CD creator!?

Fun Stuff. :D

huh?:retard:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
From what I understand Wine cannot properly support CDRW's. I know that VMWare cannot either. No support in the product for CDRW's as of yet.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Right now I am loading the latest eval of VMWare. So far so good. I still wish I could point it at my existing Windoze install like I did in Wine but if it works out I will probably buy a license and do away with the dual boot. If not (or if it is too expensive) I already have a license for Win4Lin and will load that. I will keep you guys posted, especially if it lets me run Adaptec EZ CD and ICQ. The two programs that still keep me coming back to Windoze.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I got VMware loaded and installed Win98 as a guest OS. Used IE 4.01 to download ICQ, loaded ICQ and it works just fine running under Linux / Win98 via VMware. Now I have to load Win4Lin and do a side-by-side comparison just out of curiosity.
I am having waaaayyy to much fun now! WOOHOO!!!
:lol: