Windows Tip 7-14-01

Kruz

Staff member
Replacing Start Menu scrolling with good 'ol multiple columns

One of the most frequently requested fixes for Windows 98 is to make the Start Menu behave like it did in Windows 95. That is, instead of those tiny arrows that let you scroll through the list, slowly and painfully, you can configure it to have multiple columns. Microsoft has been no help on this issue, but we've found a way:

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ explorer\ Advanced.
Select New and then String Value from the Edit menu, and type StartMenuScrollPrograms as the name for the new value.
Now, double-click on the StartMenuScrollPrograms value, and type FALSE as the data for this value.
Click Ok and then close the Registry Editor when you're done.
This setting should take effect immediately.

Note: This will affect your Start Menu's Programs folder and all folders underneath it, but it surprisingly won't affect folders directly in your Start Menu folder (which appear above Programs in the main Start Menu).
Note: If this doesn't work on your machine, try adding a second StartMenuScrollPrograms value, as described above, to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ explorer key (just the parent key of the one in the instructions). There have been reports that this is ocassionally necessary.
Note: If this still doesn't work, check your spelling and make sure you're putting the values in the right keys. Try restarting Windows to see if that helps. Also, make sure you've installed all of the latest Windows Updates, including IE5.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
And for those that aren't too comfortable dabbling into the registry, there is a utility called TweakUI available that provides a whole score of Windows GUI tweaks, including this start menu setting, and various others such as menu activation speed, Format of Shortcut titles, blah blah. You can choose to hide certain drives in Explorer (which I have done with my SWAP drive) and you can even have it give you a boot menu - like the one you get if Windows fails to start properly - every time you start the computer. It is an actual MS release on the Win98 CD although not officially supported, and it actually integrates right into the Control Panel.

For the adventurous ones, all the program is though is a graphical registry editor, and all the options can in fact be done manually using RegEdit. :)

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
I've oft wondered about that, but never have I found myself motivated enough to search for an answer. Hi resolution, and hidden program folders have nearly erased the thought from my head over the last year... :)

Thanx for the tip, apllied it to this machine in fact!