Win2k System Transplanting

tamago

(Ô.o) pi?
Its Been awhile to talk about something technical around these parts, considering i've been bumped into this place by my own head (@.@) hrrrmm makes me wonder why:confused: well anyways lets get down to the nitty gritty of what I need help and discussion on.

I find it is time to put all my Software/Hardware components from my DUAL P2 400mhz@450 256MB CAS2 ram Supermicro P6DBE mobo to my DUAL P2 400/1MB Xeon@450mhz Supermicro S2DGE mobo system. I know there are some MCSE people here or network administrators around these parts to help me out in what I am finalizing.

Basically, I hate installing all the software that is loaded onto the current system, hardware isn't a problem to me actually. Is there a way to setup Win2k to preinstall the software to the Dual XEON system from my dual P2 system via networking. Changing Dir names is a must also. The only conclusion so far that i could bring up is the hardware profile however the problem will be changing the chipset drivers since I'll be using a GX chipset and maybe IRQ arrangements.

If I need to explain more plz ask. I'm hella tired now.. pulled a 6.3hr drive from SoCali back to Phoenix this (past) sunday.:wave:

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
I have a feeling that if you export your registry, you can then restore it & you don't have to re-install all your programs. Chances are though that it will disagree with one item & make you re-install it anyway. ;)

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
Sounds dangerous!

You could use an application mover, Norton CleanSweep (that is the name of one, but not the one I'm thinking of. It is in SystemWorks though :)) for example. It will take a program and everything it uses and package it up into an exe, then you could send it over to the other comp. The program can also change the directory of installed software.

Downside is it'll take a fair while to move everything to the other computer one app at a time. I highly recommend a fresh install...

You could plug in the old drive to the new comp and see what happens for the hell of it :)

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
You can do that brainsoft, but that's where the registry export comes in. :)
Or you can just throw the whole drive into the new machine & let it go for itself.. :)