Why Overclock? A mini-essay...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
For me, it is an addiction. That first big rush you get when you overclock a $100 CPU to be faster than a $200 CPU is almost orgasmic, especially if it is out of pure competition with a buddy or buddies of yours who all paid out the ass to get the latest whiz-bang Pentium 5 and Geforce4 Super Mega Ultra Titanium. You, with the simple changing of a setting in the BIOS of your $600-700 system, overpowered a system someone paid a thousand or more for. There aren't a lot of things in the world that can feel as good as that. That first time you boot up your newly overclocked system and check out the usual benches, Sandra Q3 3dmark2001 etc etc, you begin to feel the need for more... you start to twitch uncontrollably... you reach for that reset button to go raise it a few extra MHz and breathe a sigh of relief when it boots up and soars through the benchmarks with flying colors...

You try it out of curiosity at first, but then you start to want it. Before long, you need to overclock. You need to smell the soothing aroma of your high-RPM fan burning up the motor inside it. You need to get that watercooling system so you can take your processor just a teeny bit further and make it one rank higher on the 3dmark result browser.

It is that uncontrollable urge that will be the death of many CPUs and the sudden disappearance of many rainy (or even sunny) days, and many greenbacks out of your wallet. It is that uncontrollable urge that will take your life over and cause you to rarely ever see the light of day again until you need to go to the store to buy more overclocking accessories.

It is the most powerful, and most satisfying addiction for computer enthusiasts to fall into. If you have any hesitation about coming under the spell of this addiction, cease ALL thoughts about overclocking, otherwise you will never turn back. You will fry CPUs left and right until you find one that overclocks from 1.6 to 2.5 ghz on air, or 3.0 on water. You will encounter sleepless nights, weeks, sometimes even months working on inventing a new supercooling system that takes less juice than a nightlight and cools your system to absolute zero. You will tape your eyelids to the top of your head and you will administer shock treatments to yourself to remain awake so you can monitor your overclocked system 24/7.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT undertake this risky process unless you are willing and able to become completely isolated from the outside world and joined at the hip with your computer.

Overclock for the speed. Overclock for the heat. Overclock for the hell of it. But above all, overclock with passion.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Ignorance? Nah. I'm well aware that I can buy as much speed as I'm overclocking to most of the time, but that is exactly the point. I'd have to pay that much more to get it. With overclocking, I get it for free. 1.8 ghz for the cost of 1.53? I'll take it any day over having to chuck out $30 more to get the official shit.