Why doesn't the US stop solving all the other countries' problems?

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
I know id be freakin out every time one seemed to be a little closer than it should be.

Joe Black<RC>

UltraLiberty said:
Seclusion asks where were the Pentagon's defenses. I guess he wants to know how it's possible that an airplane could crash into it, and thinking that it must have been allowed to happen.

Hello, idiot: The Pentagon is right next to a major airport (Ronald Reagan National Airport). ... There is no way to avoid it.

Excellent point. I see people in chatrooms (and break rooms, for that matter) saying how they fear a totalitarian government taking over or a military state being instituted. But what would you call missle batteries being installed around RRNA, The Pentagon and Manhattan?

A little common sense must be exercised. Unfortunately, common sense has been severly lacking over the last 30 years or so. Bad as it may sound, the attacks of September 11th might be exactly what was needed to wake people up. Then again, people seem to be forgetting already. How bout those lovely anti-war marchers??? Like I said, common sense seems to be lacking... :rolleyes:

UltraLiberty

Actually, I do remember hearing some talk at the time that they might keep RRNA closed permanently. Remember it was the last airport to reopen, they were still trying to decide what to do about it. Some wanted to make the area around the Pentagon and I guess the White house and Congress...basically all of DC...a no-fly zone. But they had just spend millions of dollars renovating RRNA so I guess they didn't want that to be wasted.

Making DC a no-fly zone isn't such a bad idea, but it would be just plain stupid to put up anti-aircraft batteries around DC or NYC...I mean, if you shot down a plane over a metropolitan area, just where do they think it would land? Jesus...say you shoot down a plane heading for the Pentagon, well what if it fell on the White house. :rolleyes:

S

s4

I think a transporter like on Star Trek would solve the problem. :D

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
joe black said:
I see people in chatrooms (and break rooms, for that matter) saying how they fear a totalitarian government taking over or a military state being instituted.

People are afraid of the wrong issues. Look at the "capaign finance reform" going through congress as we speak. That is a total violation of the first admendment & nobody cares. Our legislators took an oath of office to uphold & defend the constitution, then they pass this garbage.
Same type of sillines goes with the American flying public. I've yet to speak to someone who hasn't said, in exact or close enough terms "I don't mind all the searches at the airport, as long as they stop the terrorists." WE HAVE WILLINGLY GIVEN UP LIBERTY. Why not give up the constitution altogether. One at a time or all at once, is amounts to the same thing. Totalitarian government with the people at the beck & call of the leaders, not AS IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE, the opposite.

Joe Black<RC>

Gonzo said:
Same type of sillines goes with the American flying public. I've yet to speak to someone who hasn't said, in exact or close enough terms "I don't mind all the searches at the airport, as long as they stop the terrorists." WE HAVE WILLINGLY GIVEN UP LIBERTY. Why not give up the constitution altogether.

I'm about as eloquent as a brick on mornings like these (up 'till 3am on a Friday night...) :beerchug: But I'll try to say what I think needs to be said here. I completely understand what your getting at Gonzo. People say they want/love freedom but lay it down without a question all the time. The sticking point is what search is necessary to adress a threat posed by an unknown person or group. That need becomes unavoidable once the person or group's actions show thier willingness to threaten the lives of innocent people. As long as the person or group is belived (Vague as hell wording but thats what is has to be) to be posing that threat, the searching has to continue as a means of detecting or dissuading the threatening action.

I say it is necessary when the threat is against "innocent people". The public is completely differant from the military service. We're used to moving about without presenting papers (orders) and enjoying the privacy of person and home. Not so in the service. Now the public at large is recieving another reminder of what it is like to exist in a highly structured environment - and it bugs the hell out of them. This is an understandable reason to be upset, but prudence and flexibility of mind allow them to see the necessity of it.

I saw a cartoon the had 20 passengers with pistols aimed at three quivering terrorists in the airplane - the caption read, "What would have happened if this were REALLY a free country." This brings a whole other tropic I won't get into but it also shows a little immaturity. First, everyone who thinks it'll be cool to cary on an airplane had damned-well better have Obi-Wan Kenobi-like "seriousness of mind". Blasting through the sky in a pressurised metal tube has enough risk of it's own. Seccond, why the hell arent thier Sky Marshals on the planes (prior to 11SEP01)? Budget cutbacks, thats why. VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO GIVES A DAMN ABOUT DEFENSE!!!!:mad: Clinton f*#&!@ the country over real good on that one. Third, in a "polite scociety" like the one we pretend to have here, your demonised for fighting at all. For the sake of God, Country and yourself - Learn how to fight!!!!!!! 100 passengers against thee or five, even highly commited, terrorists should end with the terrorists choaking on thier own blood, NOT with the passengers and thier plane going into the side of a building!:mad:

Joe Black<RC>

Gonzo said:
George Santayana said:
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

...We help the world because we can. It's our duty. It's our burden. It's for our financial future & prosperity to help. It's cheaper to give 25billion dollars & forgive the debt than to fight a war, both in financial & human cost. It's what happens when power is granted, given or earned. We are the cops. Be good & there's nothing to fear, get in our face & pay the consequences.

Yeah Gonzo! Best reply I've ever seen to that question!!!! :D

Have one on me! No, have two!

:beerchug: :beerchug: