Where do you get DirectX help???

Tcar

Hi, I'm new here. Iron referred me. I have been having a terrible time getting new games (like FAKK2 Heavy Metal, Evil Dead, Dune, American McGee's Alice, etc.) that have DirectX running on my system. I have the latest version of DirectX (8.1), along with the latest versions of my drivers and Open GL compliant. I have a CMedia sound card, NVidia TNT Aladdin video card, 32Mb video ram, 96 Mb system ram, an 850Mhz Intel Celeron cpu. Everything checks out on the directx diagnostic program. I even had FAKK2 running for a week, until I tried installing Alice. Now, nothing works. The only directx included game that will run is Deathtrap Dungeon. None of the software techs have been of any help. They always suggest the same things. Nvidia suggests I contact my computer manufacturer, Qualcomputer. Guess what, they underwent bankruptcy. I tried contacting Microsoft who makes directX, and there is no way to contact them for tech support issues about DirectX. I am stumped. I need some genius computer guru hacker type. Any suggestions where to turn for help? Iron said tghey and some of you folks are really good.
Thanks!

Kruz

Staff member
I had a simaler problem a while ago..
what fixed it was to remove all traces of your current video driver and re- install the latest driver.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you could try is reinstalling DirectX. Sometimes a DirectX file can be overwritten by a setup program without you knowing about it (that's windows for ya :rolleyes: ) and then it would kill most if not all of your games which use DirectX (which today, for Windows games, is pretty much all of them)

so I would try running a reinstall of DirectX.

Tcar

Thank you both for your suggestions. I did try them both, and just to be sure tried them both again last night. No luck, and no change. I even removed all traces of GL, all traces of any part of the games, cleaned up the registry etc. with my system works utility disk, removed video and sound devices, then reinstalled them. I then reinstalled the latest versions of everything, then a game, then directX. No luck. I hate to format and start over. I have too much to lose, especially if it doesn't work. :cry:
Microsoft finally got back to me. No help there. They just referred me to the links I had no luck with before I contacted them. Typical Microsoft. Any other suggestions?:confused:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Tcar,
have you tried installing directx first then the game?
If that dont work, maybe try installing an older version of directx like 8.0 and see.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Allowing you to install older versions of their products over newer versions is not exactly one of Microsoft's strong points. One time when I installed 98se and forgot to reinstall DX7 (because the copy 98se came with is screwed) and went ahead with DX8 install... I couldn't install DX7 back, and anything that required a valid version of DX7 or later didn't work. :(

Support's not one of their strong points either, as if that wasn't a surprise. Have you searched their knowledge base, though... there sometimes is a great deal of solutions to some problems there.

Aside from trying older versions of video drivers, I'm out of suggestions right now. Sorry dude :(

Tcar

Yes, I did try that. You cannot install an older version of DirectX. It checks you system during installation and will not let you do it. You cannot uninstall it either. Thank you though!:shrug:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Could it be that, coincidentally, your video card may have broken at the same time as everything stopped working?