What's your experience?

trinity1

1 of 3
As I have indicated in BigDaddy's thread I have a CD burner.
I would like to start recording music off the internet, but I would like some input on 2 things:

1.What is the best software that I can use to download, store and transfer music to CDR. ( Don't laugh: but before I got this burner, I used Windows Media to store the little music I grabbed off the internet, but I seem to get errors on playback- sometimes.)

2.What is the best program (file sharing, etc.) that I can use to search for music. And is there options about sharing what I have or not?

Thanks for your input ahead of time. I know many of you are masters of what I am asking and having been doing it quite a while with great results.
(PS: Mods... Feel free to move this if this thread belongs in another category.)

BigDadday

Everday People
trinity1

Hi and a lil help which helped me was a program called MP3CD and it makes mp3's to wave and you can burn and use it in your car. BD

I used the trial download and looked at where I could find the way to open it.hint hint!

http://www.mp3cdmaker.net/

trinity1

1 of 3
Thanks Big Dadday and everyone else for your input. As I said on your thread BD, I am using NTI CD Maker 2000 and upon closer review it appears it can handle a multitude of functions including the one you said MP3CD could accomplish.

As far as a place to hold and manage all these MP3 I will download, I see that many people use WINAMP. Is it the best, or is there better?

I see that Postcode endorses GNapster and DJCake goes for MusicCity Morpheus for music software downloading. I am leary of spyware, as everyone else, but who's to say what is real and what is fiction on this matter?
Anyway does anyone else have any comments to share?
Thanks!:)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I use Morpheus frequently, and it is an excellent program for downloading stuff. Yesterday, as I was downloading a ~3 meg file from a few people (it automatically determines whether multiple connections are required for fastest download time), I was disconnected from the net, so naturally I invented a few new swear words, reconnected, and patiently ;) waited for Morpheus to reconnect so I could go search for the file and start redownloading it. Well, my connection started downloading a crapload of data which was making the search slow, so I checked out the download status page on Morpheus, and to my pleasant surprise, it had resumed downloading automatically from the point where I was disconnected. :grin:

And best of all, Morpheus has no spyware :lurk: :worm:

It does have a few ads, and does generate a popup window every 10-20 minutes, but it's nothing a click of the mouse couldn't close, and it's better than spyware :smash:

Kruz

Staff member
I also use Morpheus to get my music and softwear...I have over 12 gig's of MP3's. and 5+ gig's of programs, games,softwear etc...
I use NERO to compile and burn music cd's- ISO Image files- and storing all the programs I collect to cd's..
I mostly use Windows Media Player for Win XP.. But I think Win Amp is better for keeping track of what you have...*right now I'm downloading Empire Earth to play tonight*:)

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I'll throw in my endorsement for Morpheus as the best sharing program right now. But I also use WinMX as a backup if I can't find a something I need on Morpheus.

For playing mp3's I use Sonique. I spent some time one night comparing Sonique to Winamp one night and found that on good quality mp3s Sonique sounds noticeably better. Both programs have a .wav output utility that you can use to make files suitable for burning and playing in regular cd players.

trinity1

1 of 3
Hey Thanks everyone.
But last night I downloaded Morpheus and upon downloading my first tune, almost right to the end, I get this pop up error message from my computer saying something to the effect that there has been a C++ error and that the program is being shut down! BAAM! I will attempt to get it running again today and see what occurs.:banghead:

trinity1

1 of 3
THAT'S IT!!
Damn that Morpheus.
Program has been uninstalled.
3 times again with that Runtime Visual C++ error.
Oh well. I'll keep on searching!