What would cause a motherboard to just stop posting

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro 2 some time ago for my dad's computer. Well, after several reboots, it just suddenly stopped booting up. Swapping out all the hardware didn't make any headway, and the speaker did not give me any signs as to what was the problem. A dozen CMOS resets, a few cries for help on the net, and hundreds of pulled out hairs later, I decided it's gotta be a defective board, so I replaced it. 2 days later, the replacement is doing the same thing! I had just wanted to restart it to see if I could figure out why the Audigy 2 EX drive wasn't being detected, and it doesn't come back up. No beeps, no video, nothing.

The FSB was at 200, but that's child's play for an nForce 2 Ultra 400 motherboard. The memory was the main limiter in getting any higher, Corsair XMS PC3700, (bullshizznit) wouldn't go any higher than 400mhz even at 8-4-4-3 timings. Any time I wanted to raise the FSB any higher the board would beep the DRAM error sequence at me (continuous long), so I just stuck with 200.

What could this be? I've tried CMOS resets 6 times, 2 different ways (taking the battery out and then unplugging the system, or unplugging the system and then taking the battery out)

I couldn't have gotten 2 bad boards in a row, could I?

Kruz

Staff member
double check the mounting holes for the case and board. make sure that there is no metal to metal contacts.. try a diff power supply, try a different stick of ram, last but not least.. see if there is a bois update for the board, there was an update for my Epox board for problems with corsair memory compatability.. even thow I don't have corsair ram I updated anyway,