What SDR mobo w/ Athlon XP?

Acid

stud
Hopefully, my dad will come around to letting me upgrade for xmas, and I need to know what to get. I'm not ditching SDR right now (because I've got 512 megs of it), and DDR isn't really required yet. I would like to shoot in the range of an XP 1600+. What's the best SDR Motherboard right now that is compatible with the Athlon XP+ series?

Kruz

Staff member
ABIT KT7A / KT7A-RAID "V1.3" mainboard is hardware compatible (ready) and can support AMD Athlon XP processor via BIOS update.

CPU
Supports AMD Athlon/Duron 600MHZ-1.2GHZ 200/266MHz FSB Socket A Processors
Chipset
VIA KT133A /VIA 686B

Memory
Three 168-pin DIMM sockets support up to 1.5 GB PC100/PC133 SDRAM module
BIOS
SoftMenu™III Technology to set CPU parameters
Multi I/O Functions
2 Bus Master IDE Ports supporting UDMA 33/66/100
Miscellaneous
1 AGP slot, 6 PCI slots and 1 ISA slots

Attachments

• kt7a.gif
    kt7a.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 27

Deanril

I second that ,they are very Tweakable ,for memory and overclocking.Best performing boards ,Ive actually had both the RAID and non RAID ,awesome boards.

Acid

stud
Ok, one thing I forgot to mention. It doesn't need audio (I doubt onboard audio sounds better than my SB Live Audigy :p)

Deanril

This >>>>>>>>> http://www.ecsusa.com/K7S5A.cfm is also a Sweet baord ,it takes Athlon XP ,ahs both SDR and DDR and is $51 on pricewatch.

They perform very well and are very stable ,not as many memory tweaks ,but it leaves you a RAM upgrade path and is CHEAP and RELIABLE.

Have installed many of these with no complaints.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I will third the Abit KT7a v1.3 recommendation. They are, IMO, the best boards with SDR that support the AXP.

afaik, the bios update is not necessary, as it pretty much just updates the post screen to show the "model" number as opposed to the frequency :rolleyes: