What computer parts are you hoping to get for X-mas?

AMDnut

Eee equals emcee squared...
Anyone here askin' for upgrades? What are you lookin' to get?

I'm buying my own gifts so that doesn't count..... ;)

Post here what you want, are going to get, or are really wishing for.....

I really want a Radeon 9700 for the new 'chine, but the wallet won't allow it. :(

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
1) New high end video card, perhaps an ATI 9700 Pro
2) RAM - 256 MB sticks of PC133
3) processor upgrades, anything above an XP1900+

Of course, I probably won't see any of these...

Gato_Solo

I'd like a new video card, an SB Audigy2 card, and another 128MB of RAM, but it looks like Santa can only get the RAM... :(

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's not a computer component but I am getting a Canon Powershot A40 and a 128mb Compact Flash card for it.

I am buying my own new puter after Christmas. It should be complete by the time I come back to school on Jan 6.

XP 2200+, blah, blah ,blah

AMDnut

Eee equals emcee squared...
Video cards seem to be high on most list these days!

What's up with "none".... there has to be something you would like!

Nixy - That is a nice camera, been playin' with a Sony CyberShot for a couple of days now and it is pretty nice. It will go back to the store after review though. :(
I've tested about 10 digital cameras now and I still haven't settled on what I want! :)
By the way, I love your avatar!!! :cool:

BigDadday

Everday People
Hmm just got a Viewsonic 19" monitor so I got mine already but maybe a new modem and graphics and maybe a 60/80gb hard drive as they seem to be selling rather cheaply.BD

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Well, the main reason I want a new vid card is that it's actually becoming a bottleneck when it comes to some games. I never thought I'd say that 2 years ago when I bought it, but a 64 MB GF2 is actually a little low for some games now, like NWN. I see this as a continuing trend. Gotta upgrade sooner or later.

PuterTutor

Vid card for me too. I'd be happy with the ATI 8500LE or the Nvidia Geforce4 4200. Not picky, just want more than the 32 mb crappy ass piece of shit video converter that I have in there now. :)

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
AMDnut said:

What's up with "none".... there has to be something you would like!
I would like a GF4MX, and a new 17"Monitor, and a new CPU, and a Scanner, and a Vid Cam but they're all out of question(money's too tight to mention)

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
AMDnut said:

Nixy - That is a nice camera, been playin' with a Sony CyberShot for a couple of days now and it is pretty nice. It will go back to the store after review though. :(
I've tested about 10 digital cameras now and I still haven't settled on what I want! :)
By the way, I love your avatar!!! :cool:

Thanx for the av compliment

I have not tried this cam out yet, the cimputer at home is old without USB and that is where the cam is (I was allowed to take it out of the box and look but it is now in my mom's closet until christmas or until I go home and talk her into givint it to me, whichever comes first). I don't think I will be returning it though. When I had it out and looked at it and from what i have read it is exactly what I was looking for (I did ALOT of online reseach before settling on this one htough).

fury

Administrator
Staff member
What I'm REALLY hoping for is a nice big fast hard drive. This piece of junk failing IBM Deathstar is the slowest bottleneck in my system right now, seems slower than my cable connections at times.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I think I just got mine. BFG Asylum GF4 Ti4200 128 DDR...going onsale Friday after Thanksgiving for $199.99 minus $55 instanly & a $55 MiR. Picked it up tonight, will do the price-match thing on Fri.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Just got a 1700+ for free. :D Being a computer tech does has it perks. :)

Anyway, bought a K7T Turbo2 for it for $30. Threw three sticks of 256MB PC133 in it and cranked the FSB up to 145. Running nice and smooth so far.

Now, what to get myself for Christmas? :D :D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
fury said:
What I'm REALLY hoping for is a nice big fast hard drive. This piece of junk failing IBM Deathstar is the slowest bottleneck in my system right now, seems slower than my cable connections at times.
Is that the same 80 gigger you won a couple years ago?

My wish list is pretty small. A larger HDD for my "little" puter. Maybe a 20-30 GB. ( haven't decided on which kind, since I see the IBM's have fallen out of the favor of my favorite consultant....but my 40GB IBM is working just dandy flurf :D )
...and a couple sticks of crucial
oh, and a new chair with a squooshy butt port.;)

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Best Buy has a decent 6am-Noon special. Buy a WD 7200 rpm 75GB HDD & a stick of pc133 256 memory for $220, get something like $60 off instant bundle savings & then throw in a MiR & it will eventually cost $49.99

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
hmmmm.....that does sound like quite a sweet deal, but I'm pretty sure the RAM I have in there is pc 100.....would that fight with the 133?

B

Bubba

shouldn't be any problem, i've mixed pc100 and pc133 before with no errors

the only problem would be if you try to run the pc100 memory at 133