What am I doing wrong? 3 motherboards of the same type, all no POST

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so my dad's company has bought a computer from me.

Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro 2
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Thoroughbred B (DLT3C)
Radeon 8500 All-in-Wonder Pro 128mb
Orangelink Firewire 800
Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum eX
512mb PC3700 Corsair XMS
3 120gb Western Digital 1200JB's
HP DVD-writer/CD-RW combo
Sony DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo
400w Antec PSU

When I built it, the computer ran long enough to install Windows XP and run a couple 3dmarks on it. At 2.2ghz it was damn fast at it too (200fsb). Then when I went to install some drivers (for the Audigy 2 Platinum eX I believe) the computer wanted to reboot, so I said "Yes" and that was the last time I ever saw anything on the monitor. It went to restart, and never came back up. After several hours of attempting CMOS resets, swapping around the hardware, between parts known to be working fine in my computer, to pulls from other working computers, and even putting the parts for this computer in mine, it was determined to be defective, and was returned.

The replacement ended up the same way, except I had never overclocked it; I hooked it all up, it was playing great, and then I was woken up one day by continuous long beeps, indicating the computer forced itself to reboot and ran into a memory error. I pull the memory out and put it back in, and turn it back on, and nothing. No beeps, no sign of life, same as what happened with the last motherboard. Lather, rinse, repeat, this time I got word from an official Gigabyte technician that the board had to be defective if even a CMOS reset didn't get it to resurface, so I returned it again.

This 2nd replacement, I put it in there with NOTHING except the CPU, one stick of RAM, one hard drive, and the video card. I hit the power button, nothing. CPU swap, memory swap, hard drive swap, video card swap, CMOS reset, multiplier DIP switch tango, you name it.

What in the hell am I doing wrong?

The only possibility I know of for hardware incompatibility was in the Audigy 2 Platinum eX, which when I had first set up the computer, never wanted to detect the Audigy drive, even though both cords were plugged into the correct holes on both the sound card and the drive. But I didn't have the card in there at all when I went to set up the third motherboard.

What am I looking at here, just my bad luck with hardware? 3 bad motherboards in a row seems HIGHLY unlikely to me. I'm starting to get majorly pissed off if that's the case though. They've been waiting for this damn computer for 2 months!

Mirlyn

rebmeM
I had a stick of memory (brand new) that was frying boards. The only thing I can think of is get a new board and processor and all known-good parts (parts you've had in systems before for some time and had no problems with them, not brand new "assumed/looks good" stuff).

flurff

Returned the last one for a full refund and bought a different motherboard from a different store. Abit NF7-S 2.0

Of course, the SATA controller on it breaks, but at least the board boots up. I'm not about to rip out another motherboard and ship it back after all the time I've waited for that computer to be finished.