Web site critique -- NO FLAMES!

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Looks great bitchen! I've enjoyed all the articles I've read so far (still reading). I like your logo. Easy to navigate. Good job.

bitchen

Dude!
Thanks, Q you're positive comments are appreciated, but I want to know what's going to make it better. Is there navigation or page display that pisses you off?

Does it need more pictures? How important is it that I finish the alphabet? :)

Thanks
(post your picture) ;)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty cool

Mine's a piece of crap... <a href="http://www.xibase.com/fury">click here</a>

The most notable features are mouseover glow functions and a page with a bunch of translucent grins on a string. Whoopee! :rolleyes:

As I learn more about web design, I'll probably add more. (The page is made entirely in notepad, using stuff I know how to make)

bitchen

Dude!
Well, aesthetically, the stuff is a little jarring, but your implementation of the javascript is solid.

You code the JavaScript yourself?

Are you using server-side includes for the Menu? I'd start there. That'll save huge amts of time in building up your content.

(Mine are perl/Embperl/CGI includes, but the same essential idea.)

You might even create the content text as includes and use the same page template over and over that only has a dozen lines of code in it.

The key is to make it not a pain in the ass to add content. That's why bitchen.com was static for over 3 years. Now that I have shortcuts, I've added 5 or 6 pages in the last week.

-b

P.S. Use TextPad, trust me!
textpad.com

Syntax highligting, instant launch into Browser, multiple document interface, find in files, replace with regular expression, diff, everything.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Screw Textpad, Homesite has more features.

But geez....use one of them. No reason to use a rock when there's a couple of good hammers around.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by bitchen
Well, aesthetically, the stuff is a little jarring, but your implementation of the javascript is solid.

You code the JavaScript yourself?
The grins script was originally based on another script I got a few years ago but I have heavily modified it since then to use less CPU time (although it still uses a lot). Everything else is from scratch, including the script to change the style effects on the menu. I don't know why I made it do that, cause it's kind of annoying to me too... I guess I was just bored and felt like seeing if I could do it.

Are you using server-side includes for the Menu? I'd start there. That'll save huge amts of time in building up your content.
Yep. SSI is a life saver. I don't think I could maintain my sanity without it (in fact, xibase uses it too, in the membership agreement and gallery)

You might even create the content text as includes and use the same page template over and over that only has a dozen lines of code in it.
Yeah, I could do that. I don't have much content as it is now and don't have any other brilliant ideas for a different layout though

The key is to make it not a pain in the ass to add content. That's why bitchen.com was static for over 3 years. Now that I have shortcuts, I've added 5 or 6 pages in the last week.

-b

P.S. Use TextPad, trust me!
textpad.com

Syntax highligting, instant launch into Browser, multiple document interface, find in files, replace with regular expression, diff, everything.
Hmm... I just found EditPad and like it... I'll check out TextPad

Thanks for the feedback :spin:

ris

i am my my own evil twin
i would change the font in the upper contents section so that they are in arial like the other articles section. leave the size the same just kill tnr

that's just for a sense of completion.

if you are intent on leaving the font different from arial try a sans serif font over serif one - it's general publishing practice not to use serif for titles.

i like the colours and set-up - good and consistent, not over powering and sensible use of colour and pictures.

:)

bitchen

Dude!
CAUTION: RANT AHEAD. NOT TO BE MISCONSTRUED AS A FLAME. THANK YOU. THAT IS ALL.

if you are intent on leaving the font different from arial try a sans serif font over serif one - it's general publishing practice not to use serif for titles.

I appreciate your comments. I have to disagree.

First, I cannot choose "a sans-serif font" different from Arial. Notice the tags. Most of them only specify "sans-serif" Unless I want SIZE 1 bold, or it is the text of a news article. On most browsers "sans-serif" renders as Arial. On Macs it's Helvetica. I cannot reliably specify a client-side typeface. I can only assume.

So I'm left with three choces: Serif, Sans-serif, and monospaced.
Monospaced is out, forget it.

That leaves me with serif (what your browser renders as "tnr") and sans-serif what your browser renders as Arial.

If I want to mix faces, I have no choice but to chose one of each, as that's the only inter-platform choice I can rely on.

Your second point about publishing:
Not use serif for titles? Pick up a newspaper!

If I had my druthers, I'd make all titles sans and all text serif. That's with print resolution. With screen resolution a size 2 "tnr" is illegible. If I want to work at size 2, sans-serif is my only non-jaggy choice. (At print resolution, a serifed face is scientifically easier on the eyes for long passages. Look at any novel.)

In the larger sizes, "tnr" is legible, and useful as a contrast to the sans-serif body text.

While I really do appreciate your comments, and that you looked at my site with a critical eye (I really wanted a comment on the colors, thank you) Don't think I didn't give serious consideration to the font choices. :)

BTW the Table of Contents borrows heavily from the TOC of a 1998-era issue of Esquire magazine. Including the sans/serif mixture of faces. (Check the one with OJ on the cover.)

P.S. love that sig!

ris

i am my my own evil twin
fair 'nuff - just telling you what i would've done :)

as for the newspapers - looking at a big brick of Uk Sunday Times and most are set up Sans for titles, Serif for text.

All except the front page :laugh:

like i said - the whole site is consistent and that's what matters most to me, i hate sites where the format and colours bounce about

i didn't doubt for a moment that you hadn't considered it, sorry if i sounded over-critical, but design is my profession and i'll say what i think - it's hard to leave your 9-5 at home with something like that :)

K

krusty

Ah well guess I better show you all what I've been working on for the last week, I've nearly finished coding and now it needs some data to go in the base.. :D

http://202.0.36.12/acart/index.asp

and keep the damn worms outta my server, ya hear...:laugh:

ris

i am my my own evil twin
ok, given the toaty effect i got last time i shall put on as much flame-retardant gear as i can find......

bear in mind this is only my opinion, if you believe it to be wrong then ignore it. we each have stuff we like/dislike and i will be honest with mine.

krusty - very slick site. i like very much :)

clear, simple to navigate and not confusing.

if you know that the front page is going to be that size permanently then i might alter the side banner [engine pic] so that rather than being a repeated image it is a fitted piece.

the only other thing i might consider is the link pages [trd page, toms parts etc] and to give them a side strip to tie them in with the front page more - the three panels on entrance aren't continued through the site and i wonder if they should.

please go easy.... [ducks behind the parapet]