WATERLOO, Iowa -- People here have seen wartime, and this doesn't much look like it.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Some of the quotes from a USA Today story about the Sullivan Bros(all 5 were killed on one ship attack in WWII) & how that war compares to todays war.

''There's more patriotism now, but it's a show of patriotism,'' says Donna Hamilton, 72. ''We're not doing anything. There's nothing to be done.''

Since Sept. 11, ''you hear some people saying that things will change forever,'' says Leo Rooff, who was best man at the wedding of Albert Sullivan, youngest of the five brothers who died at sea. ''Well, things did change forever in World War II.''

In World War II, leisure driving was banned, the speed limit was lowered to 35 mph, and gasoline and tires were strictly rationed. Today, gas prices are the lowest in three years, car sales are up, and travelers are officially urged to travel more.

In World War II, Japanese-Americans on the West Coast were interned, and one Waterloo Lutheran church canceled its German-language service. Today, local Arab-Americans -- who braced for harassment or worse after Sept. 11 -- have encountered nothing of the kind. ''Everyone has been quite supportive and understanding,'' says Raja Akbar, president of the local Islamic community center.

In World War II, Waterloo lost 265 people, mostly young men, in military service. The newspaper reported a new death, on average, once every four days. Today, the city has so far lost no one to terrorism or the fight against it, and the state lost six people in the Sept. 11 attacks.

The government warns of more attacks, but the peacetime rhythm mocks the wartime rhetoric.

People were told to turn off the lights when they went out in case of an air raid drill. In the general Midwestern blackout drill on Nov. 22, 1942, no more than five homes in the whole city failed to comply
let's see that level of awareness in 2002

Whole Story

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I read that the other day in the print edition. Rather interesting really. What really interested me was this:

Not to anyone who remembers five gold stars in the window at 98 Adams St. -- five stars for five brothers who enlisted together, insisted on fighting together and died together.

My great grandmother Leo Mae Dent was a five star grandmother in her own right. She recieved a five star gold emblem from the Emblem of Honor association of New York for having had five sons, including my garndfather, Maury Dent, who served during WWII.

Maury Dent - U.S. Army (Died May 3, 2000)
Albert Dent - U.S. Army (Died October 10, 1959)
George S. Dent Jr. - U.S. Navy
Gene Dent - U.S. Navy (Died January 27, 1993)
Fred Dent - U.S. Navy (Died September 27, 1979)

George (my uncle) is in a home because of advanced age, diabetic illness, and recent heart surgery, but is visited constantly by his wife and children along with many other family members.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
My condolences & gratitude to your great-gramma for sacrificing so much to make the world a safer place:usa: