Video cards

rrfield

Someone I work with asked me for some guidance on buying a pretty high end video card, but I'm not really up to speed on that kind of thing, so I'm asking yous guys.

He wants something thats good for digital video editing (he has a video camera that dumps to the computer via firewire) and video capture, has a decent DVD decoder, has some NTSC compatiaility, has an s-video output and optionally has a TV-Tuner. He's not cheap, hes been known to spend money on computer parts.

Any suggestions?

richie field
[email protected]
[email protected]

fury

Administrator
Staff member
ATI have always been known for including excellent DVD support in their cards.

I think the Radeon All In Wonder 8500DV will satisfy most of his needs. It comes with stereo audio, S-video and composite video inputs and outputs, uses a DVI-I connector (comes with a DB-15 adaptor) 2 firewire ports and cables, digital video capturing and editing software, DVD support with AC-3 Digital out (you still need an external AC-3 decoder though), a stereo TV tuner with 125 channels, pause, record, instant replay, Gemstar Guide Plus, and this neat little thing called Hot Words that lets you know when certain words are detected in programming (not sure how this works, if it only does it to the screen, or works if it finds it in audio as well)

Here's the full details: http://www.ati.com/products/pc/aiwradeon8500dv/index.html

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Agree with fury on this one. ATI is your best bet. The all in wonder radeon will do everything you coule want.

Justintime

Something
I think Matro takes the cake for video editing ;) for gaming i'd consider ATi or a Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti4400 or Ti4600