VERY early development

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
BIOS Flashing FAQ/HOW-TO

this is only about an hour worth of work. Just give me some feedback on the layout and such. Post your questions and such if you like but keep in mind that this thing is far from being complete. Still a lot of work to be done on it.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
for your added protection, make this "Performing a flash can render the system inoperable" bold & use a larger font, so ther can be NO question.

S

s4

It looks good except when you mention the people that asked the questions it looks like you are giving them the credit for the answers like they are the ones who did that part. A better way in my opinion is to have a paragraph at the bottom that says thanks to...and list the names of those who contributed questions.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just me or is the answer right after When I boot the BIOS all it says is "BIOS checksum error, press F1 to continue...". What should I do? not related to the question above it?

Also, one suggestion I could make is a table of contents with links directly to the questions, and a link back to the top right under the answers to those questions.

I have a partial answer for the question I asked

Q. What happens when my computer loses power in the middle of flashing the BIOS and it won't start anymore?
A: There are a few things you can try. The least painful of them would be to try to boot up with the bootable floppy containing your bios, and then trying to reflash it. If the BIOS was not far in flashing when the power went out, and you have an old ISA Video card, put it in and boot off of the minimal BIOS installed on that video card. Then reflash from the floppy. If all else fails, you may need a replacement BIOS chip.

----

Add or change that as you like.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Yeah, that's the answer to how do I enter the BIOS. DOH. Fixed that. The people listed at the bottom are questions that haven't been answered yet. I listed them and copied the questions they had to the end. I haven't reposted an updated copy yet as I want to get some more stuff added before I do. When I get it up, then I'll post here when I do.