UPS stuff

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I've been trying to decide which battery back up ups to buy. I've pretty much decided on an APC, but there are lots of different models. The one I'm considering has 8 outlets, 4 of which are for the battery back up.
I know the amount of battery time depends on the load, and the monitor seems to have a lot to do with that. My question is, how do you determine how much time (approx) you would be allowed if you have 2 computers running off one APC?
The one I liked at Office Depot has specs similar to this
Product Overview

Description APC Back-UPS, 500VA/315W, Input 120V/ Output 120V, Interface Port USB

General Features Addl Surge Protected Outlets , Audible Alarms , Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) , Hot Swap Batteries , Intelligent Battery Management , Internet Ready: Protection for Fax/Modem Connection , Lightning and Surge Protection , Overload Indicator , Replace Batt Indicator , Site wiring fault indicator , Software , Transformer Block Spacing , USB compatible , Easy Overload Recovery

Includes CD with software , User Manual , USB cable , Velcro Cord Management Straps

Documentation User Manual

Technical Specifications

Output

Output power capacity 500 VA

Output power capacity 315 Watts

Nominal output voltage 120 V

Waveform type Stepped approximation to a sinewave

Output Connections (4)NEMA 5-15R
(3)NEMA 5-15R (Surge)

Input

Nominal input voltage 120 V

Input frequency 50/60 Hz +/- 3 Hz (auto sensing)

Input Connection Type NEMA 5-15P

Cord Length 6 feet

Input voltage range
for main operations 93 -130 V

It's $149.00, I think....and instead of 9.7 min of run time, it offers 30 minutes based on one 15" monitor. If I have 2 systems on it would that just cut the runtime in half? Or would they overload it, defeating the purpose of having the damn thing?
I have two 1GB t-birds, one with a 300W PSU and one with a 400W PSU and 2 15" monitors.
Anybody have any idea or experience with this? I tried to email the company through their website because I couldn't find any info on it there, but the email wouln't work.
:smash:

S

s4

Have you checked pricewatch.com? They have UPS listed beginning at $39 on up. You could probably get one for each computer. They are listed under Backup Supplies in the section: Other on the pricewatch webpage. Just an idea.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Hmmm, good thought. It never really occured to me to look online because they're so heavy, I figured the shipping would be outrageous....but if the units are that much cheaper, it'd be worth it. Off I go to pricewatch :wave:

S

s4

Good luck. ;)

If you would happen to buy something that you see at pricewatch, be sure to mention you saw it there. Some vendors don't always sell at the price listed unless you tell them you saw it there.