Unreal 3 engine impressions

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
This I got to see...

[quoteurl=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/09/news_6120126.html]The second demo showed off one of the newly-announced features of Unreal Engine 3--seamless level loading. Basically, the engine is capable of loading several levels simultaneously, so the game will analyze where a player is going and load the next level ahead of time. By the time you reach the new level, it will already be in memory. This means that, after the initial load to start a game, players will not experience any level loading at all. To demonstrate this, Epic showed a futuristic dune buggy driving through the streets of what looks like a gritty European city. (If anything, it looked very much like a far more detailed version of Half-Life 2's City 17.) The buggy careened through the empty streets and then cut across a park, and it did so seamlessly. This means that in addition to no level loads, the game will be capable of creating huge, Grand Theft Auto-like worlds to explore. To finish the buggy demo, the camera pulled back to reveal a glimpse of a stunning and crowded cityscape along with the glistening waters of a huge bay.[/quoteurl]

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
man this would be great. I always hate having to wait for the next level to load.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
It's words like that which make me go out & try to disprove the theory. Unfortunately, it doesn't usually take long.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
The thing will need a 6800 Ultra like Vid Card to run smootlhy. Good thing It won't be popular at least until 2007