U.S. Works Up Plan for Using Nuclear Arms

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Some of you may get your wish

Military: Administration, in a secret report, calls for a strategy against at least seven nations: China, Russia, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Libya and Syria.
By PAUL RICHTER, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration has directed the military to prepare contingency plans to use nuclear weapons against at least seven countries and to build smaller nuclear weapons for use in certain battlefield situations, according to a classified Pentagon report obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

The secret report, which was provided to Congress on Jan. 8, says the Pentagon needs to be prepared to use nuclear weapons against China, Russia, Iraq, North Korea, Iran, Libya and Syria. It says the weapons could be used in three types of situations: against targets able to withstand nonnuclear attack; in retaliation for attack with nuclear, biological or chemical weapons; or "in the event of surprising military developments."

rest of the story

Yeah me too....but come on, Russia! As if the US has to be scared of them!
They're way to weak to start a war with the US, and why would they? They'd lose every foreign aid...

China: China is setting it's first steps to enter the free-world market, if I'm allowed to call it that way...they have no benefit at starting any war against the US...

The other countries, I'm not so sure of....

This would be the most stupid decision of the Bush administration until now...even thinking of using nuclear weapons would be a terrible development. There is no cause that justifies the use of nuclear weapons. Not one cause.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Hmmm. China just approved a 3 billion dollar increase to military spending. They say they need to moderize their armed forces.

Gonzo

Staff member
ShadowFax, look at the long term history of the world. China runs in cycles, power up power down. They are approaching a power up cycle & they've ALWAYS been agressive & gained land during these cycles. So, they are a (potential) threat to the "new world order".

I have to mostly agree about the dangers of nukes though(until we're attacked by them, or a similarly potent biological attack)

unclehobart

this is my special title
PostCode said:
Hmmm. China just approved a 3 billion dollar increase to military spending. They say they need to moderize their armed forces.
Yeah, They need to bump up from late 60s quality to a more 1973 area.

Gonz ~ Allright, I agree on that. But let's not only look at possible enemies, but also at how they could start a war against another country.
Let's not fixate on the US alone, OK? :)
There has been done some serious efforts in bringing down the arsenal of nuclear weapons, owned by the US and Russia. Why destroy that effort now?
I seriously think that there isn't one country capable in developing and actually using nuclear weapons. It may sound strange, but if two superpowers as the US and Russia (former superpower :rolleyes: ) don't even have the balls to use nuclear weapons, I really don't think a country like Iran, Iraq, Lybia or Syria would ever use nuclear weapons against the US or any other country.

Allright, there is always a possibility, I know that. But is that possibility worth risking another build-up of nuclear weapons? I honestly don't think so.

unclehobart

this is my special title
I don't worry about governments using nukes. I worry about the wanerding rebel and terrorist sects that claim no borders and nothing to lose.

Gonzo

Staff member
I, too, am unsure of the threat Russia poses at this point in history. I, also, wasn't referring exclusively to the US, that's why I put "new world order". There are far too many potential targets as the world is united in it's affairs.

I was never really afraid of an attack by the Soviet Union. Nor did I belive we would start nuclear aggressions. What my concern has always been is that some 3rd world dictator with very little to lose would be the aggressor. We now have a real threat of that happening-Hussein is nuts, any of the terrorist groups have leaders worthy of the same title. Personally, I think we're at a higher threat than at any time in our past of some form of nuke being used. There are too many USSR missles missing to suit my level of comfort. Once one goes, there will be retaliatory strikes-has anybody seen Dubya's red cowboy hat?

dnar

Psycho Penguin
I hate to say this, but it is comming people. We will see nuclear weapons used in our lifetime. It breaks my heart to know that my children will "live" to see this also.

Has anyone read the impact on the western world, of just one 10kiloton nuke being set off in the US? Its frightening. That is all it would take to totally bring the western economies down. The US would fracture into small localised economies. I shall endevour to locate the report and post it here.

I agree with other comments though, I cant see just one nuke being used, once one goes off, thats it baby, goodbye biosphere. goodbye future. goodbye health. goodbye sanity. hello world caos. hello mass-devistation. hello mass-hysteria. hello hell on earth. hello little blue syonide pills.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Hussein is nuts
I could say the same of Bush. "In the event of surprising military developments"? What the Hell? Is the US the only nation that can spend billions in military stuff? And why developing a contingency plan to counter-strike Russia? They don't have one already from the cold war times? Why it's not useful anymore since russian arsenal has decreased? I will tell you: he's hoping to scare off the "potential" enemies. What the bastard is going to get is a global mass campaign for military re-equipment. The way that things are going I can see the aimed nations joining to form a opposite force. Then *bang* we're back to the cold war times. 20 years back in history.
BTW "New world order"? I just can see the same rotten one...

Gonzo

Staff member
Could say, hell: BUSH IS NUTS. The "surprising military developments" are if we're getting our asses kicked or are attacked. We still hafta point nukes at Russia, they're the only country still (or curently) able to launch a long-range strike at the western world, it's precautionary.
Saying this scares the hell out of me but I'm starting to think we were actually safer when the cold war was in full swing-nobody wanted to stir-up any trouble, risking massive Military Industrial Complex retaliatory strikes.