Troy Aikman is finalizing his return to the NFL

S

s4

[QUOTEURL=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/01/14/aikman_comeback/]
Sources close to the discussions tell me Miami and Aikman made informal contact long before the playoffs began. They say Aikman may join the Dolphins regardless for next season, but that the deal would be cinched if Miami were to hire Aikman's old offensive coordinator, Norv Turner. Turner currently is offensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers.
[/QUOTEURL]

I don't see how this is going to make a big difference. He should remain retired and possibly go into the Hall of Fame. Dan Marino could't bring a championship to Miami. I just don't think Miami has what it takes to go all the way no matter what. Even if they did make it to the Superbowl there are some NFC teams that would wipe their feet on them.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
He and Lindros ought to have their heads examined.

Literally.

S

s4

The problem Miami has had over the years is that they thought that one player or one coach could carry them to the championship. It takes a whole team to win not just a QB.

If Aikman does return, I think they should expect an 8-8 team or worse. If they win 6 games, I'll be surprised.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Well they were 11-5 without Aikman, so you think they'll do much worse WITH him?

S

s4

Yes. Here is the reason. They had a QB that got them an 11-5 season. Now they are changing things. They were used to the guy they had. Now they are bringing in a much older qb that doesn't have mobility and may not have the patience to learn the system. It usually takes two or three years to get some chemistry going between the players and coaching staff. Aikman is going to be the new guy coming in that thinks he's done and seen it all.

He may play a whole season healthy or he may not. You don't know for sure what kind of condition he is in. He left the game because of health problems. I know he was once a great qb, but the question is what kind of a qb is he now? Can he play 16 games plus possibly 3 playoff games to win it all? Don't forget the preseason too. Is he really in that good of shape to take the team all the way? I doubt it.

Not only that but the qb they had must have been pretty good to get them into the playoffs. Why make a change? It doesn't make sense?

Inkara1

Yeah, he's suffering from Steve Young syndrome, except at least Steve Young is smart enough to say he's had enough concussions.

I still think there should be a rule in the NFL that once you hit your 10th concussion, it's forced retirement time.

S

s4

I think Aikman belongs on the football field but just not as a player. His knowledge of the game would be valuable as an assistant coach. Eventually, he might even become head coach. The guy could really help some team out by helping to design plays.