Trolling?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Is it Dappa Don that you're concerned about or Kozmik Kat? cause if it's Dappa Don I don't see anything that would warrant any kind of warning or action. Kozmik Kat is at least not being helpful, so that's the guy I would probably contact in email about what purpose his post held. It sounds, at least to me, that since he's providing his email address and telling him to email for the solution instead of posting it in the forum, that it's illegal.

danleff

I saw this post also, which left me a bit uneasy about his motives. Problem is, if he is offering a solution that is valid, that is one thing. If the "solution" does not work, it does reflect on the board administrator and the site. At the very least, he should ask permission to post what is obviously and "ad" for his benefit. I agree, if he has a solution, post what it is and let the readers decide. If everyone was allowed to post ads for their business (it is a business, as he is apparently charging a fee), I think that this would turn off people looking for a solution that the board would otherwise recommend if they thought that it was a valid and legitimate one.

I have to say, it reminds me of advertising, which implies that the board endorses the solution or product. This is the first that i heard of this "service", which means it is not a proven/known to work service. If you run a business and want people to use your product, don't you offer "trials" to prove that your product is worth the price, which in turn results in people buying the product?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
KK appears to be trolling if you traced him to a company. I'd remove the email address & post a "stern warning" against that sort of thing. Tell him, it's 2 strikes & you're out.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
You got that right dan. He;s offering a product but who knows if it works. Especially on a Dell laptop. Those things have more passwords than most laptop's have keys on the keyboard. ugh. I modified the AUP to include some information about not doing this:

Selling products or trying to sell products through this BB is prohibited unless permission is previously given for the product. This included providing links to your personal site. Users who choose to ignore this will be banned.

I'm going to email the person and tell him it's not acceptable and that if he does it again then he'll be banned.