Time to re-think Physics

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
A story (actually a sideline) in the USA Today on Thursday 07/18/02 said that in an upcoming "Physical Review Letters" journal, Australian Nat'l U researchers report that a tiny bead, one micron (0.00004 inch) across, when dragged through some liquid, broke the 2nd law of physics.
Sometimes, the report says, the liquids molecules speed up the bead instead of slowing it down, as is supposed to happen. They warn that this couold be a problem with nano-technology, since it could lead to the nano-machines running backwards.

So, with this one screw up, we throw out how many centuries of mathematical formulas & need to start fresh? I don't quite understand the problem (running backwards?) mostly because I only have a very rudimentary understanding of physics. It seems that in some ways, this is good because it allows us to look at some things (Einsteins Theory of Relativity for example) with afresh perspective.

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
Hmm, so my time machine will work, all I have to do is shrink myself to the size of a fraction of a crumb, which is my current project, mwahahahaha!

There's probably a certain size where when it's dragged through that it is neither slowed down or sped up, and that's the equilibrium (for lack of a better term, the only thing that makes sense in physics is calculus), but it's so insignificant that it isn't very relevant.

Inkara1

If you're trying to shrink yourself to the size of a micron, don't do it with a crash diet... unless, that is, you want to gain back all the weight you lost, and then some. :D

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
as vast as the universe is, one starship would be equivalent to less than one micron so, theoretically...