The new car

leslie

We had to get a car quick and cheap, and this is what we ended up with, a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 150 000km on it, not bad, and it's running really well. We paid $100, it needed a few things, a light, a window, and a master cylinder. In total, we got that stuff for $170, and we had a new tires for it already, so we've ended up with a pretty nice car (considering) for $270. Not bad! :)

Stats:
Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.8 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 165hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 210ft-lbs. @ 2000 rpm
Drive Type: FWD
Turning Circle: 40.7 ft.

Fuel Tank Capacity: 18 gal.

EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Automatic: 18 mpg / 28 mpg

Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Automatic: 324 mi. / 504 mi.

Standard features:
6 cyl 3.8 L Engine, Air Conditioning, Aluminum/Alloy Wheels, Anti-Lock Brakes, Automatic 4-Speed Transmission, Climate Control for AC, Cruise Control, Digital Clock, Driver Information System, Fog Lights, Headlight Washers, Heated Power Mirrors, Keyless Entry System, Leather Steering Wheel, Lighted Entry System, Power Antenna, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Drivers Seat, Power Passenger Seat, Power Steering, Power Windows, Premium Sound System, Rallye Gauges, Rear Spoiler, Rear Window Defroster, Remote Trunk Release, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, Tilt Steering Wheel, Tinted Glass, Twilight Sentinel, Velour/Cloth Seats

And there is an air compressor in the trunk :eek: :headbang:

Attachments

• pic_6504.jpg
    pic_6504.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 122

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Properly maintained, those 3.8's can go forever.My first car had one of those, and it ran for almost 10 years after I got it (and I got it used).

Inkara1

Yeah, that 3.8 is one thing GM actually did do somewhat right.

I'd be kinda worried about how it has power everything, since that leaves an awful lot of places for electrical gremlins to show up. It's definitely not bad for being ready to roll for $270, though. Plus, if you want to sell it later, you could probably actually profit--that's rare with vehicles.

leslie

We kinda got used to the electrical problem thing with our Cavalier, :retard: and are pretty used to diagnosing problems with the !@#$ sensors, so hopefully it won't be too bad. :lol:

It seems good, runs real quiet, new transmission in it in the last couple years it looks like, and the engine compartment looks real clean.

We still can't get over the air compressor :eek:

Kruz

Staff member
I'm glad to hear that the transmission has been replaced already... because that is the only "BIG" problem that they had

soniclos

Just buying a car with all the major parts for under 300 these days is a deal

The picture i attached is a car i bought for 400, sure dont look as good as yours. And that was the good side

Attachments

• honda 86.jpg
    honda 86.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 108

leslie

:laugh: The guy who sold it to us had got a quote saying the master cylinder was $1300 before labour, so he sold it to us to get rid of it, thinking it not worth it. We were lucky and got the part dirt cheap, otherwise it would have been a $1500 car. :D

We don't think we'll tell the guy we got it from though, that would be mean :lol:

Altron

The Brave Little Toaster
What's so special about the air compressor in the trunk?
My dad has one, and all it does is makes a lot of noise when we want to fill up the tires on the car. Hand pumps are so much easier (for bikes, at least)

Professur

Mushroom at large
The compresssor might be for an air-balancing suspension. The caddy I was looking at had that, but under the hood.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
$270 Canadian?

Umm... sorry, I can't help it :lol:

Nice car considering I coulda paid for it with the change I found in the couch! :D

Seriously nice car though. :headbang:

Professur

Mushroom at large
The caddy I mentionned above was going for $500. 4L engine with all the bells. Passenger side doors were stove in, but hell, I never get in that side anyhow.:D

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
Hey! I see hubby behind the hood in the first pic!

*cranes neck to get a better look at Les's hubby*