The new AMD Opteron

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Sledgehammer on the left has 940 total pins which are just over double the current Athlon! The Clawhammer on the right has 754 pins that are not nearly as tightly packed. AMD would not disclose what speeds these CPUs were running at, nor the L1 and L2 cache sizes for either the Clawhammer or Sledgehammer.

Attachments

• sledgeclaw_small.jpeg
    sledgeclaw_small.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 37

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Here we have the reference board for the Clawhammer. It is codenamed Solo, and if you look closely below the name you will see a set of note. These notes represent the Intel jingle, and Intel can't copyright a series of notes. From the look of the board it appears Gigabyte was the manufacturer as it uses what has become their trademark blue PCB. Taking a tour of the board we see that the Socket 754 uses a new heatsink mounting method. The troublesome clips of old are gone, and the Cpu mounts directly to the motherboard. The bottom of the board has a metal place that secures the apparatus into place. The heatsink AMD used is a Foxconn that obviously is not all copper. I'm uncertain if it has a copper core however.

Attachments

• solo2_small.jpeg
    solo2_small.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 36

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a good shot at the power connectors which include a standard ATX power connector and a 4 pin connector which is a setup very similar to the current 760MPX boards. I was unable to find out what power supply they were recommending at this point. Also of note here are the large capacitors.

Attachments

• soloboard_small.jpeg
    soloboard_small.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 36

fury

Administrator
Staff member
drool.gif

Mechanic

looks like it will be much faster then thier XP line
I myself will wait till the XP line drops in price, then
upgrade to a 2.2 gig