The Death Penalty

MrBishop

Felix Culpa
SInce I've been reading the paper and watching the news lately, I've developed a special kind of sensation. It's a combination of "sick to my stomach" and "Self-rightiousness". It makes me want to write to my governament and ask them to reinstate the death penalty.
Practically every day, I hear about how this person killed their wife and 3 children, or such a child got raped and killed, or how another child was taken from their home where it was discovered that they were covered in cigarette burns and scars from broken bones. I hear abut serial-rapists and mass-murderers, child-molestors and abusers, the muggings of the elderly and the torture of the innocents...and the more I read, the more I start dreaming of the good ol' days of the Death Penalty.
Why bother paying for someone to live out the next 30-40 years in jail, and providing them with shelter, three meals a day etc... at the cost of thousands of dollars per year per inmate, when a $40 lethal injection and a $2000 funeral would do?
Comments?

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
I'm too biased in this area Bish - but not about all inmates. I do believe Drug Dealers and producers should be burnt at the stake. I just don't have sympathy for them or want for their return to society. Before anyone asks, no, I don't believe they deserve a second chance - but that's just me. Like I said, I'm biased in this area.

greenfreak

I've always been for the death penalty in violent crimes like murder, rape. I saw a pretty good movie the other day, "The Life of David Gale" and it dealt with the death penalty. It started out slow but the ending was wild.

Na out of curiosity, would you add drug users to your list? Or just the people who provide it to them? I have very strong feelings about drugs and the people who use them. I typically don't say much about it because of the inevitable argument though. Actually, there is one going on at OTC right now about them. :)

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
***disclaimer*** Now, before anyone starts jumping on my back, I am being honest in that this is MY opinion based on MY experiences .. you may have a varying opinion, and that's fine for you, but unless and until anyone has lived through it the way I have, I would really appreciate not being dumped on. Glad I got that out of the way first ...

That's a good question, greenie .. funny enough, i wouldn't include all drug users ... depends on the drug ... hardcore users, like ice users are just dumb ... i don't like the whole 'disease' thing because it gives them an 'out' and an excuse ... many users I would say deserve the death penalty .. because their addiction, like those on ice (crystal meth) leads to very very very violent crimes without reason (because the areas of the brain that perform "reason" are dead). Having lived with several ice addicts, and endured the crap that me and my kids did, I'm surprised we're all relatively normal .. Let me tell you, with ice, there is no 'tough love' ... there is no confrontation because there is no reasoning ... the odds of rehab from ice are slim to none and those that do are mentally screwed up forever ..

it's a sensitive subject for me and I don't think I expressed myself completely but ... it's not an easy subject matter.

greenfreak

nalani said:
***disclaimer*** Now, before anyone starts jumping on my back, I am being honest in that this is MY opinion based on MY experiences .. you may have a varying opinion, and that's fine for you, but unless and until anyone has lived through it the way I have, I would really appreciate not being dumped on. Glad I got that out of the way first ...

That's a good question, greenie .. funny enough, i wouldn't include all drug users ... depends on the drug ... hardcore users, like ice users are just dumb ... i don't like the whole 'disease' thing because it gives them an 'out' and an excuse ... many users I would say deserve the death penalty .. because their addiction, like those on ice (crystal meth) leads to very very very violent crimes without reason (because the areas of the brain that perform "reason" are dead). Having lived with several ice addicts, and endured the crap that me and my kids did, I'm surprised we're all relatively normal .. Let me tell you, with ice, there is no 'tough love' ... there is no confrontation because there is no reasoning ... the odds of rehab from ice are slim to none and those that do are mentally screwed up forever ..

it's a sensitive subject for me and I don't think I expressed myself completely but ... it's not an easy subject matter.

Well said Na. :)

I agree with most everything you said although I don't know that I would agree with the death penalty for users just because they're users. Unless there were other violent crimes that they committed while under the influence. Then again, that would probably serve to help them in a court of law, they can always claim they weren't aware of their actions because they were too drugged up. :shrug:

I don't like hearing the whole bit about it being a "disease" either because it usually goes along with the addict not taking responsibility for their actions; a typical response from a drug user. It's never their fault. It's always the drug that did it to them, as if they had no control. I've been told I'm pretty close minded about that whole thing, I suppose it's true. Suits me just fine though. :D

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
Just to clear up, I never said I prefer the death penalty for users just because they're users - I said many do because of the violent crimes their use leads to. Just wanted to clear that one up ...

You might be closed minded greenie - but then again, so am I .. and it suits me just fine too *folding my arms* cause they're not the boss of us! :D

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I want in too!!!!

Noone is the boss of us!!!

*hugs Na* We need to chat more sis!!!

MrBishop

Felix Culpa
Pokes his head in, looks around for flying estrogen...finds that it's safe and asks again.

So...whom do we give Capital Punishment to then?

Rapists
Murderers
Paedophiles
... ?

freako104

im a freak im so proud of that
rapists,moleters,murderers. and also violent offenders of any kind should get harsher punishments in general

Crabbleboys

Morris Dancer
Until you have a foolproof method of detection isn't the risk of misstrials and wrong verdicts a dilema in this area.
Surely if society puts to death one innocent person then the whole system/nation is guilty of murder. One of the UK's worst killers, Ian Brady(Moors Murderer, child killer) keeps begging to be allowed to die. I am happy that his suffering continues.
What a life he leads, he even gets to watch the TV and that must hurt, seeing how other people live normal lives.
I would be happier to see their conditions made harsher just to increase the suffering though. Make them work to pay for their upkeep.

paul_valaru

the death penalty, don't think of it as punishment, think of it as putting a dog down, a dog. If a dog bites, and can't be controled, you put him down, these people can't adjust to our society, put them down, it's not pucnishment, it's actually sad, but necessary