The Death Penalty

MrBishop

Felix Culpa
SInce I've been reading the paper and watching the news lately, I've developed a special kind of sensation. It's a combination of "sick to my stomach" and "Self-rightiousness". It makes me want to write to my governament and ask them to reinstate the death penalty.

Practically every day, I hear about how this person killed their wife and 3 children, or such a child got raped and killed, or how another child was taken from their home where it was discovered that they were covered in cigarette burns and scars from broken bones. I hear abut serial-rapists and mass-murderers, child-molestors and abusers, the muggings of the elderly and the torture of the innocents...and the more I read, the more I start dreaming of the good ol' days of the Death Penalty.

Why bother paying for someone to live out the next 30-40 years in jail, and providing them with shelter, three meals a day etc... at the cost of thousands of dollars per year per inmate, when a $40 lethal injection and a $2000 funeral would do?

Comments? :confused:

kuulani

If you can prove a person's guilt, then I'm all for the death penalty.

Someone once argued with me that the death penalty is expensive ... what's so hard about taking a gun and killing the bastard?

kuulani

MrBishop said:
Practically every day, I hear about how this person killed their wife and 3 children

My husband and I watched that Michael Moore documentary last night, "Bowling for Columbine", and he had this whole thing about how 10,000+ people in America were murdered in a year, while other "civilized" countries had only a 100 or so murders.

MrBishop

Felix Culpa
What he fails to say is that America has that many more people in it than the countries which it compares itself against. It's not statistically significant unless you can get a per capita number. Let's say...5 out of every thousand deaths are caussed by violent crimes etc...