Thanksgiving is a good day to install Linux.

S

s4

Let's break away from greed and oppression from MS. This is the perfect day to install Linux. I'm going to.:scared:

S

s4

Installed like a pro. Everything was smooth and easy. Unfortuantely, I wouldn't part completely with Windows so I am dual booting Mandrake 8 and Win Me.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
I've had this P133 sitting besdie my main machine for over 8 months now and there's always been something preventing me finally getting around to putting Linux on it.. at the moment, it's the lack of hard drive.. :rolleyes:

glussier

Originally posted by a13antichrist
I've had this P133 sitting besdie my main machine for over 8 months now and there's always been something preventing me finally getting around to putting Linux on it.. at the moment, it's the lack of hard drive.. :rolleyes:

Don't try installing Mandrake 8 on it, you'll find you're not only lacking an hard-drive. :worm:

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Yeah, 7.1 was the version I was planning on.. actually I've got to get that off krusty sometime between now & getting the Harddrive, too..

Soler^

I put Linux Mandrake on my p166 and it was pretty good, got apachie and stuff going (no experiance b4) and tbh it was a nice change from MS, i think you should all give it a go if you can get your hands on a second machine to play with....

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I went and installed Linux before thanksgiving. It was pretty stable, went 40 days then I had to shut the computer off and install Win2k on it before giving it to dad :cool:

Inkara1

I have a P166 laying around. I need a CD drive for it and then I could put linux (I think I have mandrake 6.5 or something like that) on there.

I also have most of an Athlon Classic 600 system laying around. I was getting boot errors that I suspect were being caused by something wrong on the motherboard... but I can't help wondering if it's the power supply. I have a spare 250W laying around, so if I can remember to put in some RAM at some point (I have either 32 or 64MB of PC100 laying around at home). All I'd need then is a cheap-ass PCI video card (I have one ISA laying around that could go in either that or the P-166), a floppy drive and perhaps a CD although I could probably share that between that and the P-166. I should probably keep the ISA video card in the 166 because the athlon 600 only has one ISA slot, the 166 has like 3, and I have two ISA modems sitting around.

To make things even more interesting, I have a motherboard with a K6-2 at 300MHz that has onboard sound and video but needs a new cooling fan for the processor.

I also have a spare 14" Packard Hell monitor, in addition to my 17" Sony.

If it was in face the power supply making the Athlon 600 go screwy, then my ideal situation would be to set up the Athlon 600 with windows and run genome on it along with my main T-bird 1.2 system... and set up the 166 with linux so I can learn it, or maybe replace it with the K6-2/300 (since I think something's wrong with the P166 board as far as working with a mouse goes).

OK, that was about a novel. Basically, I've got mad computer parts laying around.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I had a system to set up that Celery 566@850 up on. I'd really like to learn some sort of linux. I hope to eventually use it as my main OS. :grin: