Stupid question about AGP aperature size

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I recently upgraded auntie's pos Gateway from an ATI Rage 128 and 128mB memory to a GF2TI and 256mB RAM. Under AGP aperature size in the CMOS, it only has 64 and 256 listed (I figured it would at least give me a 128 setting). It seems to run fine in gaming even on 256 but should I be concerned?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
"they" will tell you to set it to half your system memory, but I run mine at 32 with no problems

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The general rule of thumb is half system memory, or if that's not available, the next lowest setting. Are there any problems when running it at an aperture of 64mb? If so, that's kind of odd, because it's the most stable option in most cases. I get some lockup problems at 256mb, but at 64mb everything runs tip top.

I doubt, with a Geforce2 Ti (aren't they 64mb?), that she will need more than a 64mb aperture, and besides, if any game happens to screw up and accidentally throw 320mb of textures at the system, and the aperture is 256mb (all of the system memory) she won't have any room left for the memory for the actual game application, and the computer will crash.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
That's what I figured. And yes its a 64mB card. I'll switch it back when I get home.