Standing desks vs. sitting desks

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I've recently become interested in turning my desk at home into a standing desk. I have a few reasons for this curiosity
  • I sit at a desk at work, then come home and sit at a desk at home. Seems a little sedentary.
  • I'm losing weight and trying to be fit (which I think are two different things)
  • My chair at home is wearing out, and is uncomfortable anyway, so I'm glad to get rid of it or stow it away rather than buy something new to replace it that will only get worn out anyway.
So, I've come to the conclusion that the cheapest, easiest way to do this, although maybe not the optimal way, is to stack my current desk up onto something that puts the keyboard at arm level while standing (some people are using milk crates to get the height right before they do anything more elaborate).

I'll let you know how it works out :beerbang:

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
At 40, I'm plagued by circulation (does that exist? blood flowing) problems. Standing is out of question form me. How did it work out for you? My dream when younger, was a laying desk :D, but nowadays I'm affraid I would simply fall asleep every time...

Professur

Mushroom at large
I use both at work. Standing works well, but you do tend to rush through stuff and spend less time browsing. A good adjustable height stool kept handy gives you the best of both worlds

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Spending less time browsing would probably do me some good. :beerbang:

I tried to set my desk at home up as a standing desk, but it was too unstable and I couldn't get it to be quite the right height for my arms. Because the angles were so weird and uncomfortable (because of the not-quite-right height) I kept reverting back to sitting in the chair and just looking up at the screen (which is even worse).

I've tabled (heh) that idea for now until I can spring for a good desk that's designed as a standing desk from the start. Perhaps if I win the lottery, an adjustable one like the GeekDesk

Professur

Mushroom at large
Watching the schools in the news .. it seems that the requirement is for desks you can cower under while hiding from the big mean world.