Something to think about from a friend

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I just want to know how many people actually knew these before the WTC disaster.

- Where Afghanistan is
- Who the hell is Taliban
- What does Taliban, USSR, and USA have in common
- Where is Pakistan
- Pakistan is nuclear capable
- How easy for terrorists to smuggle suitcase size nukes through our southerborders

Before the Gulf War,

- Where Kuwait is
- Where Iraq is
- Who controls Kuwait
- Who is Saddam
- Where is Jordan, Isreal, and Saudi Arabia
- What is the PLO?

From my observation of my fellow americans, I must say that we're so caught up in our own little world and see nothing more beyond our own reach. While the evil forces plans to annihilate us, we're more concern with taxes, gay rights, welfare, Bond's home run streak, stocks, and next year's footballs season. Foreign affairs have never been in the average joe's mind. And our knowledge of the world is very poor relative to what other countries know about each other.

S

s4

Flavio:

I see nothing wrong with the post. It was the choice of username that was used to post it that caused the ban. If Sin2 wants to choose another name, I have no problem with it. However, using the name of the guy that killed thousands of Americans was in very poor taste. He could have just as easily posted that under his regular username and no one would have objected.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
That is what I pretty much said in my last email to him. These are valid points and no one would have gotten in a tizzy if he had used one of his other accounts.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Well I had a pretty general idea where Pakistan and Afghanistan were, but I did not know the answers to the other questions in the first part.

unclehobart

this is my special title
My college major was International Affairs. I make it my business to know all of that general hooey.

br0ck

- Where Afghanistan is
- Who the hell is Taliban
- What does Taliban, USSR, and USA have in common
- Where is Pakistan
- Pakistan is nuclear capable
- How easy for terrorists to smuggle suitcase size nukes through our southerborders

I'm going to bother learning them either.....cause in the near future, there will be no NEED to.

BigDadday

Everday People
Flavio as br0ck says I agree but I think you're really missing the point when we are saying that whoever did sign up as OBL really wasn't thinking with his brain when doing so as we being Americans and Proud ones found that in poor taste along with others as well.BD

patweb

Eater of Hot Peppered Steak
the only part I didn't know is that who CONTROL's Kuwait.

All I know is that is the richest guy there, right?

I have been following this for about 1 1/2 y (the Taliban and Mideast stuff) on-
http://bbs.msnbc.com/bbs/msnbc-world/index.asp

I am pH there.

We should have seen it coming when the Taliban BLEW UP all the Buddist icons in Afgahnistan.

butchsor

in addition to Flavio's questions:

What ties that bind Osama bin Laden and Mullah Mohammad Omar, a one eyed supreme leader of Taliban?

answer: Omar took the eldest daughter of Osama as one of his wife and Osama took Omar's daughter as his fourth wife.

They are calling each other as "dad"? :D:D:D

for info only:
Osama bin Laden has a wife down here. :(

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Originally posted by flavio

What difference does it make? We are all too aware of these issues now since they have been forcefully shoved into our faces. I am sick of people who hold themselves as superior due to their knowledge of international events. So what!!! What do you know of my life? Not shit. What do you know about winemaking? I can tell you anything you want to know, but I don't think you are an ignorant asshole because of it. I think you and I simply have different interests. Mine are not better than yours and vice versa. So for those of you who have it, take your superior attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine or go win a Trivial Pursuit tournament. Cause where it not for us lazy, ignorant Americans your world would be a lot worse off.

"The Atomic Bomb... built by lazy ignorant Americans and tested in Japan!"

flavio

superfly
Staff member
wine4all - I beg you to point out the superior attitude in the post and also to explain how you missed that these weren't my questions. I thought maybe the "from a friend" part and the quotes would have clued you in.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
wine4all - I beg you to point out the superior attitude in the post and also to explain how you missed that these weren't my questions. I thought maybe the "from a friend" part and the quotes would have clued you in.

By asking the question about how many of us knew about these things BEFORE the WTC attacks implies that we should have, and anyone who did not is somehow inferior. I understand that this was not your post but you seem to have taken up the cause iof the idiot who joined as OBL. Therefore, you should not be suprised when you take some flak for it. Americans are on a mission right knnow to eliminate OBL and all who support him, in any form.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I'm with winey on this one.'
Besides the fact that your friend chose the worst possible name in order to draw attention to his point(s)...it would also lead people to believe he is playing the devils advocate on the part of bin Laden. This is not a position american citizens are going to take kindly to. When bin Laden made the decision to kill and maim innocent people he forfeited the right for any american to care about his cause.
...And while I did know the answers to some of the questions, I didn't know, nor do I care about most of them. It doesn't make me a bad american. We pay people to be intimately informed about these issues. We elect people to make informed decisions on our behalf regarding these issues. I have a basic knowledge of how my truck runs, but I don't know what position the cam is in the entire time I'm driving it. Doesn't make me a bad driver.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I don't see the superior attitude since he chose to use "we" and "we're" thus including himself in the group he was talking about that previously did not know the answers to those questions.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I see what you mean. Nonetheless, I reserve the right to be ignorant and apathetic about any subject of my choice and do not make apologies for it.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I, on the other hand, can/could answer all the questions because I am an info/news junkie & when I find my ignorance in a certain matter, I change that ignorance. I've been following the mideast tensions for over a decade. And do you know what-not one shred of my knowledge made a difference to the 266 people on those 4 airliners. Nor the 6000+ in the buildings. They all may have been Ambassadors looking to clear this whole thing up & about to make world peace....but not now-because they are DEAD. Trivia is all it is now. Sin was tactless in his approach & is being justly called to the mat over it.

S

s4

Originally posted by wine4all
I see what you mean. Nonetheless, I reserve the right to be ignorant and apathetic about any subject of my choice and do not make apologies for it.

I agree completely. I also reserve the right to be ignorant of subjects just like you. :smash:

i hope you know i'm joking

S

s4

I'm wondering how it would go over if someone registered with the name "Satan" ?

I know you like Sin2. He is the guy that started XiBase in the first place. I've known Sin2 since he registered at hwc a few years ago. Since that time, he seems distant and doesn't talk to any of us. The last time he talked to me, he played a pretty good joke on me on icq. I was made to look like a real boob.

Huge is or was a friend of his and was in the building next door when the NY attacks occured at the Trade Center. Do you think that signing up as bin Laden showed any respect for Huge or the people that perished on that day, not to mention those family members of those people.

Sin2 came here to make a point that most of us are ignorant of bin Laden, Mid East geography and politics. I could have posted as s4 and said how many of you knew who this guy was and where these countries are without having to use any theatrical tactics just to get attention.

Ok so maybe Sin2 was not trying to act like he was the real bin Laden. Maybe all he wanted to do was make a point that we knew nothing in our preoccupied lives about what goes on in that part of the world. He didn't have to use that name to get that point across. He could of just as easily posted that under his Sin2 name, and we would have found it an interesting thread to start a discussion in.

I question whether Sin2 knew who bin Laden was and was an expert on the subject, so why is pointing out how dumb we are if he's not any smarter?

I thought of Sin2 as friend too. Many of us did and some still do, but he never talks to us and never shares what's going on with him to us. He only shows up here once in a while. I was glad to see him back even though it was under such terrible circumstances. Why does he have to be someone else? Why can't he just be Sin2?

Ok the last thing I am going to say is this. I have used multiple id's on boards. I had fun doing it. I never used my other id's for the purpose of signing up as someone like bin Laden. It was only for fun, and never did I feed off of anyone's emotions that was hurting. This attack on NY and Washington affected the whole country, not just those folks. I cried right along with them when I watched it on tv. It was so terrible to see so much suffering going on.