Slow broadband speeds in Windblows? Kill icons and active desktop

fury

Administrator
Staff member
My dad's computer wasn't going very fast, in fact dialup was a bit faster, ping-time wise :eek:

So I killed most of the icons on the desktop (moved them into a folder on the desktop named "Desktop Icons"), and disabled Active Desktop, rebooted, and download speed boosted up to 200kb/s.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Windows doesn't make sense, Kyle. It just happened, trust me. A reboot alone didn't fix it, but killing the excess icons and active desktop, etc. then rebooting did.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Have you try reapplying the active desktop and moving the icons back and trying this out again?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. The icons and active desktop combined definitely are the cause of the slow speed. I'm not sure which one is a bigger slowdown though. It doesn't really matter that much, besides, Active Desktop is useless, and if you have a lot of icons on the desktop, it's a good idea to clean it out anyway. I can't understand how anyone would want a desktop that messy.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
You can't turn off active desktop in XP. It's either being used, when needed, or it's not.

rrfield

200 kbps seems pretty slow for a broadband connection. I *always* test at over 1mbps even at peak times, sometimes as high as 3mbps. And that's actuall transfer rates, taking overhead into consideration.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
200 kilobytes, not kilobits. For the sake of clarity, when I say kbps I mean kilobits and when I say kb/s I mean kilobytes. :retard:

The maximum rated speed for this connection is 3000 kbps (375kb/s), and that's often what I get on my computer. I imagine dad's computer is limited to 200kb/s due to the speed of the processor, because I added more memory to it and all that did was make it boot up 1 minute faster than before.

rrfield

ahh ok. I hardly ever see data rates represented in bytes. then again im not a big internet downloader or anything. and i usually see bytes represented with a capital B, bits with a lower case b. pretty nitpicky huh? :) in fact ever since i made a consious effort to work on PCs as little as possible, i forgot that bytes exist as a unit!