Quick Question

BigDadday

Everday People
Threw in Win me for the heck of it and now am confused as my drives are lettered differently. My external zip is D and my cd-rom E and my writer is F

I want my cd-ron D,writer E and zip F where do I go to change it?

S

s4

I'm not sure that you can. Those are determined by the bios and os at startup.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
the only one "set" by windoze os "C".
Control panel/system/device mgr/cdrom--check properties, you should be able to arrange how you want & restart.

S

s4

I think I may have tried that a long time ago, but it didn't work. I haven't tried it under WinMe however.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
you should be able to change the drive lettering of the CD-ROMs as described by Gonzo in the device manager. I'm not sure about the zip drive, as I have never been given an option to tell it to use a certain drive letter when setting it up.

Bronto

mofo extraordinaire
Hiyas
Ah! Win ME. Before assigning the Drive letters, start in Safe mode. In Safe mode go into the Device Manager (Windows Key+Pause key). Remove any dublicate drivers (Both instanses) in all catagories except System. In the Audio section remove Microsoft audio drivers. Restart computer in normal mode, Drivers automaticaly will re-install once this time.
To assign the drive letters. In the Device manager for any removable media device check the settings Tab. Assign the Drive letter range to a one letter range. May have to juggle the other drives to higher drive letter temporary so the letter you want becomes available. During the process of closing out one device it may ask for a restart. Restart if your finished, if not finish assign drive letter, say No to restart continue. Once all done reboot, things are set.
Bronto