Question about GeForce cards - and stuff...

Hey all,

I know GeForce cards seem to be the shiz-nit :D right now, but I have a few questions.

First off, I hear that there is a GeForce 3 (regular) and a Geforce 3 Ti 200 and Ti 500.

I also heard that the regular GF3 smokes the Ti200. What gives?...and can you still get 'em?

It seems that Nvidia has a funky naming convention. You'd think that any GeForce 4 would smoke any GeForce 3 but that's not the case.

I would love to get a "Regular" GeForce 3 if it does in fact smoke a Ti 200.

Any/all thoughts are appreciated :D

Word up:worm:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, whoever is coming up with the names for nVidia's products should be shot.

The original Geforce3 was clocked in at 200mhz core (GPU) speed and 230mhz memory (460 DDR)

Geforce3 Ti 200 came in at 175mhz core and 200mhz memory (400 DDR)

That would be why it gets spanked. It's basically an underclocked Geforce3. That's a Good Thing™ though, because you can get it for cheaper and a lot of times, you can overclock the crap out of it, sometimes even to original Geforce3 speeds.

The Geforce3 Ti 500 comes in at 250 core (I think? Or is it 240?), 250 memory. It is to the Geforce3 as the Geforce2 Ultra was to the Geforce2.

Original Geforce3's are still around if you look for them. Whatever you do, if you have the money, go for the best Geforce3 you can get, because it will likely whomp your Geforce4 MX.

Kruz

Staff member
Thats pretty much what I said here.........:D

Kruz said:
The MX version of the GF4 isn't much better than the GF2 if any... while the voodoo cards were optimised for openGL and preform much better in those games.
If you want to really notice a differance go with the Ti version of the GF4.. or if money is tight, get the Ti version of the GF3.