Puter keeps crashing and freezing!

BigDadday

Everday People
OK ever sinct Adelphia has put on the cable modem from Scientific Atlanta over the Errikson I had originally I have had this problem non stop when I'm hooked up to the net. Finally waited 45 minutes for a Tech guy named Terry from Buffalo N.Y. and he told me what the problem was. You let me know how much on he was ok,

Seems that the first and second installers of my modem used my USB port over the Ethernet card that they were supposed to install and Terry said it was for a quick install so they could leave. All I'm doing is fighting it because the USB isn't stable and also it would not connect at the fastest speeds.

Well I have someone coming out tuesday and am wondering how all of this sounds to you guys?

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
BD, I dont have cable but i know usb is a faster way of connecting. I use usb modem and love it. usually very stable.
I get a hiccup every once and a while. But the great thing about the usb is that i can unplug and plug back in and im ready to go. No rebooting at all.
Just my .02 :cool:

BigDadday

Everday People
I've run this thru almost every test I know of and I have no virus's or anything like that so I'm hoping that maybe my USB is a bad one and the card will replace it I hope.

greenfreak

*greenfreak checks the back of her cable modem*

Wow, I never knew you could use a USB connection for that. I've been using my NIC for my cable connection since May or so and haven't had any outages, any hiccups, nothing. Then again, my provider might be more stable too.

I asked my bf if he knew we could use USB also and he said yes but he heard there's a power issue that he heard about? Is there a downfall to using USB?

I have two computers sharing the internet connection through a linksys router. I wonder if I could run a USB line directly from the cable modem and still keep the router connected at the same time...?

Sorry BD can't give you any advice-you know more than I do at this point!

:D

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I find Terry hard to buy BD. Regardless of the connection type, unless your system has some kind of internal issue, this should not be an problem. Was the original cable modem a USB model also? If so, then I would start suspecting the modem itself and not the system. Perhaps the cable running to and fro also. Just because it's using USB dosen't meanit's crappy. Is the USB on the system sharing an IRQ with another device in the system? Check this throught eh Device Manager.

Kruz

Staff member
My brother just got dsl.. he got the usb version modem..everything works fine exept for one thing...the computer will not boot up with the modem installed... he has to unplug the usb cable for the modem, boot up the computer, then plug in the usb modem...

BigDadday

Everday People
The original was a Errikson cable modem using the uSB and it worked fine till my first glitches with not the modem but the ISP so they replaced it with another errikson and that was a bad modem at the git-go so this one is a different one and it is heck to use. I cannot kill it's connection to the net as I could the errikson and it's draining my puter as well when I start up it is slow. If I unplug this it boots fine and also shuts down fine. If plugged in there are times it will not shut down,:(

I was rambling cuz it crashed the last time i tried to post this,BD

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I think a powered USB hub is a hub that connects to the USB, but has a power cord that gets its power from a plug in the wall or your power strip... as opposed to one that just gets its power from the USB port?